VC10 in circuit again.

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

VC10 in circuit again.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Posted a couple of photos' some time ago and today the VC10 was at it again, unfortunately I was just about to take my wife to work so only got one chance as she flew overhead for approach to Waddington. Only problem is is that my camera just does not give the quality that others' on this Forum do unless of course, it is me doing it all wrong!! :dunno:

Was it Tonks?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: VC10 in circuit again.

Post by DaveB »

Hi Nigel :)

They're not too bad given the light mate. I don't know how 'automatic' your digi is but if all else fails.. treat it like a film camera and you'll stand a good chance of getting what you expected.. that is of course unless your last film camera was one of those all-in-one, use-once and return to manufacturer to get the film developed :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

They record the event well enough Nigel

Unusual shot showing the LE slats clearly.

The great thing about shots like this it that is the angle a lot of folk actually see them and as such evoke memories.

Thanks for posting :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks for your kind words of advise and encouragement Dave, Garry. Not a techie with a camera and just tend to point and shoot as I see it.

Many times though an interesting a/c has flown overhead on short finals or passed by, i.e. Lancaster, Spitefire....but by the time I fetch the camera, place the battery inside and switch on it has gone and no matter how much I wait in the hope that it will do some circuits.....It does not re-appear until I have given up and gone inside!! :brick:

Think if they painted the VC10 in brighter colours it would show up better. :think:

Regards
Nigel.

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

Quite right Nige - but of course the paint scheme is designed to do the opposite! ;-)

I've some pretty dull shots at Leuchars for the very same reason, backlit, dull conditions + grey/dull A/C = dull shot.

As Garry says, it's a cracking angle you got - as for image 'quality' - I would not worry about it in those conditions - nothing you can do.
Jim

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks, you have now restored my confidence. :lol:

Just wonder who the crew were?

Regards
Nigel.

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

Nigel, as others have already stated they are cracking shots from an unusual angle that show lots of great details like the slats. They might not be of printable quality if you were looking for something to hang on your wall however for pictures to browse on a forum they are better than most. There are eleventy-billion almost identical aircraft shots posted on spotters forums each week and they bore me to tears, and all of them are filled with praise for being "perfect". The ones I enjoy browsing are the ones where people have tried to be a little bit different or captured aircraft from interesting angles.

For example, I know a lot of people get irate about airshow photography and carry on something woeful if they get crowds in their shots. I think they've missed a trick and are following some duff "rules for photographers" because the best shots are always those with the crowd, funfair, burger bars, whatever in shot, because the give the photograph context and put it in a distinct time and place, and record the event rather than another snoozeworthy "perfect" shot of a Typhoon that will end up on airliners.net

At the end of the day if you enjoy looking at the results then it's all worth-while. :thumbsup:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your words of encouragement, greatly appreciated.

Regards
Nigel.

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Garry Russell wrote: Unusual shot showing the LE slats clearly.
Nice shot that. Never seen that aspect before.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Looking back through some of my VC10 shots.. I found an almost identical one to that I'd posted 2 years ago.. I think it was the last time the sun came out :lol:

Found this one too (also posted at the same time) which in reality is pretty much cr@p but interesting for other reasons. The heat haze has completely distorted the aircraft giving it a Salvadore Dali look (excuse the spelling) and it'd certainly win no prizes for composition or technique :lol: I'm not arty-farty enough to go for this effect and it was, like your shot Nigel.. a simple point and shoot.. as were the other thousand I took :lol:

I like this sort of shot as it doesn't matter if they're slightly blurred as most of mine are. You'd not be able to make this clear if you tried! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!