Known AMEX cc fraud - check your statements

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Known AMEX cc fraud - check your statements

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi,

Thought would share this one with you.

My wife checked her Lloyds TSB AMEX credit card statement last night and two transactions looked out of place. They were both in name of 24 Hour Corp, Carmichael, CA for fairly small USD amounts converting to about @ £20 each. She immediately phoned Lloyds TSB to dispute the transactions. Whilst she was on the phone I did a quick google and came across this thread. My wife was able to give this info to the LTSB cs rep who immediately stopped the 'dispute' and changed it to 'fraud'. Card was cancelled and new one on the way. The LTSB fraud dept cs rep who my wife spoke to this morning was not aware of this known fraud but investigations will be under way. A quick call direct to Amex UK cs and as soon as my wife mentioned 24 Hour Corp the chap knew about it. Amex investigations are still underway to ascertain how customers Amex cards have been compromised - my guess is a retailer has been hacked a la T K Maxx about a year ago.

If you have an Amex card check your statements!

American Express

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Known AMEX cc fraud - check your statements

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi John, I think this is probably where your wifes' card details went.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6509993.stm

Incidentally, beware also when paying for goods with chip and pin cards as fraudsters have been able to hack these at stores.

My advice would be when paying for goods in this way is to cover the numbers with one hand whilst entering your pin as tiny cameras can easily be concealed in the ceiling ready to record what numbers you put in, also check the slot where you insert the card and if you think there is something wrong with it.......Don't!!
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Techno ... Technology

In many cases I often wish we could go back to the good old days of the cheque book!!

Regards
Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 22 Aug 2008, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Nigel,

I know about the TK Maxx issue, as said, that was about a year ago. This one is more recent and Amex are still investigating the source of the problem.

Regards

John

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks John, just hope you do not have any further trouble.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Seems they have just moved their operation from the US to Europe

As John pointed out the Tj Maxx , Home Depot scam was about a year ago - they are just starting to prosecute people!
amazing as the Credit card companies are really quick to make you pay. Thank god all of our CC and DC go through a single
Establishment , and they are very quick to spot fraud, one of the most hilarious examples of this was when I was in Atlanta recently and bought my daughter some clothes at a large department store there - within 10 minutes of my purchase the bank
called my wife and asked if there was a reason we would be making OTC purchases in Atlanta when we live in Las Vegas.
24 hours later I was in Huntsville Alabama when my wife recieved a second call - same operator - who said "Hello, is your husband in Alabama now?' unlike many I do not see this as intrusion into my private life but a financial establishment who cares
about its customers, Oh yeah same bank also finances the purchases of the companies aircraft.

Leif

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Leif,

Not just Europe, some guy in Illinois has charges on his card from same source.

Regards

John

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

My debit card was charged £20 at Timpsons last month ( you know, the shoe repair cum darts trophy cum house-name plaque place ), a proper chip and pin transaction, but I haven't been in there for years. Barclays is investigating.

Check your bank statements carefully, folks !

HawkerHart
Meteor
Meteor

Post by HawkerHart »

Can the fraudsters make use of just the chip from your card? Served a gentleman a few months back who put his card in the chip and pin machine, it came up no chip detected on my screen, so I took it out to give it a bit of a rub and there was a perfect chip sized/shaped hole in the card. Didn't have a clue where it had gone.

Just clogging up a cash machine probably, but you never know. :worried:
Tom