FS2004 Comet 1

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: FS2004 Comet 1

Post by DaveB »

That's very true mate :-( Of course, the crashes were woeful (one of the VC10 guys at Brooklands father was FD crew on one) but I tend to remember it more that we lost years of technical and commercial advantage over those darned Yanks as a consequence. I still think the end result (eg.. no aircraft industry) would have turned out the same as we seem very good at that sort of thing. However, the world benefited from those losses (if that's the right word to use) so some good came out of them.. even if not for us short-term ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Sad thing is Dave is it seems to have been a manufacturing shortcut that caused the fatigue problem

The offending cutouts were designed to be bonded but that was difficult on the line so they decided to rivet those areas instead.

Built as designed it may never have failed......or at least not for a very long time.

This is something that seems to have been kept fairly quiet.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

I agree it would be nice to see a programme about the whole Comet story (and "Vanishings" did touch on the Comet 4 and the fact it carried on until the 1980s, although it didn't mention the "N" word) but the problem is TV is made by people with generally no interest in anything unless it's sensational or "human interest" and often the intellectual depth of a very shallow spit-pool. Also, at least there are programmes made about aircraft subjects. Railway enthusiasts get ugger ball despite being one of the most numerous non-sport pastimes worldwide and counting many famous people in our numbers (recently Rod Stewart went public about his model railways much to the bewilderment of some press types) and when something is done it tends to focus on steamy stuff and homes in on the inevitable eccentrics.

You would have thought they'd have cottoned on to the huge sales of enthusiast dvds for both rail and aircraft subjects and realised there's a very big market willing to spend money on these products which might appeal to advertisers were they to make similar programmes, but like I say, a lot of TV people are lazy and only interested in trendy, easy markets.

Moan over.

PhilipsCDRW
Meteor
Meteor

Post by PhilipsCDRW »

I was reading the biography/autobiography of Joe Sutter, the guy who became chief engineer of the Boeing 747, in my local library a couple of weeks ago. (I couldn't withdraw it without paying the £20 overdue fees from the last books I'd borrowed though, so I had to be brief!) He was quite dismissive of the Comet as being conservative - the low-swept wing yielding 0.74-mach cruise - and rooted in prop-era thinking, with the engines buried in the wings as if they were piston engines. But what else would you expect from a contemporary USAmerican aero engineer... ;-)
PhilipsCDRW

jensbk
Meteor
Meteor

Post by jensbk »

Hello, all of you waiting for the Comet 1...

The model is ready now, and Mark Cranston & Co. (Aeromusica) have made som great sound files for it. I plan to release it in a week or two.

The package will include the Comet 1 & 1A (I don't distinguish between them in the flight model), and the Comet 2 (BOAC trial version and RAF C.2). The sounds are taylored for the Comet 1, so if you have Dave Maltby's Comet 4, I suggest you use PM's sound files for the Comet 2 instead.

The paints include (Comet 1/1A) BOAC, Air France, UAT, RCAF, Canadian Pacific, and (Comet 2) BOAC and RAF. The whole package will be a ca. 30 MB download for FS2004 and FSX.

This has been a big project, mainly because it is the first jetliner I've attempted.

Best regards

Jens
Jens B Kristensen
Hobby FS modeller

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Looking very much forward to this Jens! :thumbsup:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks for that Jens :thumbsup:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Hot diggety dog! Looking forward to seeing your new creations Jens. :dancer:

Brian

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

Working with Jens on this project has been a pleasure .... sorting out the audio side of things per the updated COMET 1 soundpack which will accompany the released package.

With regard to COMET 2 .... and in particular it's need of a RR AVON turbojet soundpack. David MALTBY's soundpack is probably your best bet .... but .... watch the volume or you're liable to get complaints from the "NOISE CONTROL" :roll: .... David's contract to supply doesn't allow noisey FS enthusiasts to sue him for this :lol:

Alternatively .... I have recently updated "ALL" the original Aeromusica soundpacks for COMET 1 & 1A, COMET 2 & 3, and COMET 3B, 4, 4B & 4C. Significant improvements have been made over the quality of the original files.

If folk wish it .... I'll later on send these soundpacks over to Rob & Leif .... to replace our original audio for these aircraft which is hosted at CBF.

Mark C :flying:
AKL/NZ
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but what you thought you heard is not what I meant !

ferryman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by ferryman »

PhilipsCDRW wrote:I was reading the biography/autobiography of Joe Sutter, the guy who became chief engineer of the Boeing 747, in my local library a couple of weeks ago. (I couldn't withdraw it without paying the £20 overdue fees from the last books I'd borrowed though, so I had to be brief!) He was quite dismissive of the Comet as being conservative - the low-swept wing yielding 0.74-mach cruise - and rooted in prop-era thinking, with the engines buried in the wings as if they were piston engines. But what else would you expect from a contemporary USAmerican aero engineer... ;-)
I seem to remember that when a 707 had an engine fall off in flight, DH brought out a half-page newspaper advert featuring the line "We bury our engines in the wing roots, not in French farmers' fields". :D
John Lawler