Missing (hidden?) Fuselage texture for the Comet 1

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Davem2004
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Missing (hidden?) Fuselage texture for the Comet 1

Post by Davem2004 »

Hi,

Downloaded the Comet 1 yesterday and would like to pass on my appreciation for the all the hard work in adding this historical aircraft to the FS stable. :thumbsup:

Looking within the texture folders I've noticed that the 'properties' shows there to be 27 texture.bmp files when there are only 26 visible in the folder. The only fuselage texture file is 'fuse_aft' in _t and _l formats. How come the (presumably) 'fuse_fwd' is hidden?

Cheers!

Dave

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Missing (hidden?) Fuselage texture for the Comet 1

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Hmmmm....odd! :o

In FSX I show 26 files in the 'texture' folder and 25 files in all the 'texture.XXX' folders. The additional file in the 'texture' folder is 'lwing_btm_tga.bmp' but like you I see no 'fuse_fwd' anywhere although it would appear that the forward fuselage is in fact included in the 'rwing_btm_t.bmp' file.

Strange that I am seeing a different number of files to you and I have 'show hidden files' turned ON. The naming of 'lwing_btm_tga.bmp' is a bit strange too as 'tga' is normally an extension like .bmp or .dds but that may just be a typo I guess or a file that got left in by mistake.
Last edited by Tako_Kichi on 07 Sep 2008, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
Larry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I also report 26 in the texture and 25 in the others and no visible FWD fuse either.....I'm FS.9

My system is set to show hidden files :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

jensbk
Meteor
Meteor

Post by jensbk »

Davem2004 wrote:Hi,

Downloaded the Comet 1 yesterday and would like to pass on my appreciation for the all the hard work in adding this historical aircraft to the FS stable. :thumbsup:

Looking within the texture folders I've noticed that the 'properties' shows there to be 27 texture.bmp files when there are only 26 visible in the folder. The only fuselage texture file is 'fuse_aft' in _t and _l formats. How come the (presumably) 'fuse_fwd' is hidden?

Cheers!

Dave
Hi Gary, there is no 'fuse_fwd' texture for the model ;-) The forward fuselage is covered by some of the other texture files. Do you see problems with the model in FS?

Best regards

Jens
Jens B Kristensen
Hobby FS modeller

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Jens

I have no problem

Just comfirming the figures the othrs are seeing :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

jensbk
Meteor
Meteor

Post by jensbk »

Tako_Kichi wrote:Hmmmm....odd! :o

In FSX I show 26 files in the 'texture' folder and 25 files in all the 'texture.XXX' folders. The additional file in the 'texture' folder is 'lwing_btm_tga.bmp' but like you I see no 'fuse_fwd' anywhere although it would appear that the forward fuselage is in fact included in the 'rwing_btm_t.bmp' file.

Strange that I am seeing a different number of files to you and I have 'show hidden files' turned ON. The naming of 'lwing_btm_tga.bmp' is a bit strange too as 'tga' is normally an extension like .bmp or .dds but that may just be a typo I guess or a file that got left in by mistake.
'lwing_btm_tga.bmp' is a file left in (and created!) by mistake. Delete it or ignore it :)

Jens
Jens B Kristensen
Hobby FS modeller

Davem2004
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Davem2004 »

Ah ha! Fwd fuselage texture grouped with the wing textures...now why didn't I think of that?

;-)

jensbk
Meteor
Meteor

Post by jensbk »

Davem2004 wrote:Ah ha! Fwd fuselage texture grouped with the wing textures...now why didn't I think of that?

;-)
What's in a (file)name? ;-)

Jens
Jens B Kristensen
Hobby FS modeller

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Jens....Did you see the post about textures issues on the Virtual Spanner....MDL8 files cannot read .DDS only BMP and MDLX are true FSX...?

You with me...? :roll:

I take it the Comet would have to be totally remodelled...?

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

jensbk
Meteor
Meteor

Post by jensbk »

Techy111 wrote:Jens....Did you see the post about textures issues on the Virtual Spanner....MDL8 files cannot read .DDS only BMP and MDLX are true FSX...?

You with me...? :roll:

I take it the Comet would have to be totally remodelled...?

Tony
I know, I know. That's why I wrote that converting to .DDS would not solve the DX10 problem.

FSX supports models in FS2004 and FSX formats, so both formats are 'true FSX', apart from the fact that the FS2004 .mdl format doesn't work properly in DX10 preview mode. All textures appear as white.

Total remodelling - no. But it would be a lot of work, especially with the animations, which FSDS 3.5.1 doesn't handle very well for models in FSX format. Other issues (reflexions, specular maps, bump maps etc.) have been solved by volunteers, notably Dave Nunez.

Best regards

Jens
Jens B Kristensen
Hobby FS modeller