WOP Lancaster and B17. WOP II B17.

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

WOP Lancaster and B17. WOP II B17.

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Hi,

first off I found a copy of Wings of Power in my loft and copied the aircraft into FSX.
The aircraft fly well but have a few issues you may be able to help with. The Lancasters all have black windscreens. I've seen a few posts about the glass.bmp and changing the alpha channel colour but try as I might I cannot fix this problem. Does anyone have a fixed glass replacement I could use?

The second problem is with all fs2004 into FSX. The aircraft seem to suffer a lack of rudder authority. Anyway to fix this.

I also have a copy of Vulcan but it fails to install because it cannot find the FS2004 directory. Is there anyway to fool it into thinking I have FS2004 installed. Maybe I can create the directory structure - if only I knew what it was!

BTW I downloaded the new WOP II B17. It's a great aircraft but seems a bugger to taxi. Anyone know if this is a true FSX aircraft or just a port.

Thanks,

Dog.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: WOP Lancaster and B17. WOP II B17.

Post by Chris Trott »

The WoP B-17 is a true FSX model from what I understand. The way it was explained was that they shipped it with 2 models and CFG files, but 1 set of textures, panel, etc., as they work fine in both sims.

What exactly are you having problems with in regards to taxiing? The aircraft uses a free-castoring tailwheel so you have to use differential braking and power to get maximum steering.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Are you using Standard FS.X or have you applied the service packs?

The black glass could be because it is not textured....something that used to be OK but not now......If there was no texture then FS.X made it black

I was under the impression that this was not so much an issue with the upgrade serive packs but I don't know :dunno:

If is is because it just used a transparent material and no thexture then there is nothing you can do about it if the sim can't read it :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Hi,

thanks for the replies.
I've been using diferential brakes and throttles to try and taxi the B17. I guess I'll just have to practice some more if the model is true to the original.

As for the Lancaster. I have sp1 and 2 installed. Is there any way I can add textures to the model or is it a majpr task to fix?

Dog.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

If the glass is done without textures there is sadly nothing you can do :-(

It's model thing and has to be mapped to the part and the part set up in a certain manner

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

That's annoying. The B17 works but not the Lancaster.
Will I ever get a Lanc, time will tell :-)

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

From the A2A - Shockwave forum.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... =5&t=10476

I know it's about the Liberator but it should cure the Lanc as well.

Jon

It does work. :dancer:

Unzip the new texture and add it to the TEXTURE folder in each Lancaster folder. It's an extra texture don't be tempted to change it's name.

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

And for my first post back, I'll help out with this one too.

LOL... Funnily enough the final post in the thread linked above is from me about the subject.

The file Interior_glass_t.bmp which can be downloaded from the link above needs to be copied and placed into ALL the Texture folders of ALL the WoP Heavy Bombers and Jets. Don't rename it or anything, just put it in every Texture folder including any repaint folders you may have added.

Anyway, I stuck it in ALL my WoP bombers and jets and they all work a treat.

It's worth mentioning here that there are some other edits required to get the planes working nicely in FSX. There's some easy panel fiddling for the B-29 for instance which is fixed in this thread: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... =5&t=11850

AND... Some bright spark has modified the WoP B-17 so that it can actually drop bombs in FSX. That's more than I particularly want but if you're interested see this thread: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=8534

All in all, they're still excellent aeroplanes in FSX.

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Thanks for all your help. The lanc works!

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/attach ... 1228571205

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Hi,

thanks to all your help I now have an FSX ready Lancaster.
A couple of further questions if I may.

Is there any way to add an elevator trim gauge to the aircraft.
Any upkeep Lancaster models around I can use with this aircraft.
Engine starting only works because of CTRL+E. Any idea what switch is missing that I need to throw to get them to fire up manually?

Thanks,

Dog.