AlacrityPC - Release Resources Before Flying

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

AlacrityPC - Release Resources Before Flying

Post by ChrisHunt »

See http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/ for a great utility to release memory resources before starting FS and automatically starting them when finished. The utility is AlacrityPC and works with XP and Vista. A quote from the website:

"AlacrityPC is a utility designed to help you get the most performance out of your computer when running resource intensive applications, like modern games. It does this by shutting down unnecessary services and programs before starting your application. When you finish your application, those services and programs can be automatically restarted.

AlacrityPC also provides some additional optimizations, like memory defragmenting, removing your desktop background, shutting down the desktop shell and Vista Sidebar, and forcing background tasks to execute.

AlacrityPC is the sequel to FSAutoStart. It is written in C# .NET 2.0."

I've used it - it's easy to use and does exactly what it says it does. I suspect this should be a must have for anyone running on 2Gb RAM or less - 4Gb and above the improvements are noticable but not earth shattering.

Regards,
Chris

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Re: AlacrityPC - Release Resources Before Flying

Post by emfrat »

Cheers, Chris -
I have been using this for a while now, as an alternative to FS Autostart. It can get a bit confused by the oddities of my setup, but I could easily sort that by telling it to restart the machine on exit, instead of just bringing the various apps and processes back online. I particularly like the option to do more than one memory defrag - I used to take advantage of the fact that FSAutostart didn't restart every single thing, to come out of FS9 then run FSA again, which freed up even more RAM.
Well worth having, and many thanks to Ken for providing it. :thumbsup:

MikeW