The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

davem
Meteor
Meteor

Scenery & AI incompatabilities???

Post by davem »

Hi all,

Not sure this has ever been noted before (It must have surely!) but in FSX, I've discovered a scenery/AI incompatability issue.

I can't find any FSX scenery for RAF Mildenhall, so downloaded an FS9 version (by Matt Magner) and put it in. Expecting some scenery / code issues and a major hit on frame rates due to SCASM presence, I was pleasantly surprised to find it worked well, but then amazed to find it had killed all my Mildy AI. What was more, I slewed 'next door' and all my AI at Lakenheath had disppeared as well... I uninstalled the Mildy scenery from the addon library and hey-presto the LN F15s were back as were the '135s at Mildy.

Just to save any questions along the 'have you' lines, all my traffic files are converted to FSX compatability, there was no hidden traffic file in the Mildy scenery (as far as I could tell...) and I've tried the sceneries both above and below each other in the addon list in case of any exclusions causing this.

I'm a tad confused by this as I thought it was only clashing traffic files that cancelled out AI...???

Anybody know different??

TIA

Dave.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Scenery & AI incompatabilities???

Post by TSR2 »

The scenery will have an AFCAD file. AFCAD is not compatible with FSX so you'll need to do your own using something like airportdesigneditor or FSXplanner (both free) ;-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

If you scenery includes FS9 AI and your "regular" AI is FSX'ed There's your "thing"

FS9 traffic bgls and FSX traffic bgl's can not coexist. Either one or the other. Both work equally good but excludes the other.

Fortunately there are several tools availble that converts FS9-AI to FSX-AI and/or vice verce ...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Hi guys, im using AFCAD to build my range series but i do decompile and recompile into FSX using a tool i downloaded sometime ago... Works a treat!

davem
Meteor
Meteor

Post by davem »

Ben Watson wrote:The scenery will have an AFCAD file. AFCAD is not compatible with FSX so you'll need to do your own using something like airportdesigneditor or FSXplanner (both free) ;-)
Hi Ben, thanks for this, although when I made Fairford for FS9, I used AFCAD 2.21 for the AFCAD (you'd never have guessed!! :$ ) and have no AI problems in FSX as it seems to work fine with FSX SP2 when you just drop it into the Addon Scenery file.
DanKH wrote:If you scenery includes FS9 AI and your "regular" AI is FSX'ed There's your "thing"
FS9 traffic bgls and FSX traffic bgl's can not coexist. Either one or the other. Both work equally good but excludes the other.
Fortunately there are several tools availble that converts FS9-AI to FSX-AI and/or vice verce ...
Sorry Dan, tried to explain this in the original post but obviously failed :$ , yes I do have AI running written for FS9 but I've already converted everything in AIFP so until I installed Midy, it all worked fine in FSX. As far as I am aware, there is no new traffic file with this Mildy scenery, or if there is, it's somehow hidden in a file and I've never come across that before and AIFP cannot find one.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Post a link to the "offending" FS9 scenery, and I'll give it an overhaul to see if I can find anything...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

davem
Meteor
Meteor

Post by davem »

This link is the version on avsim...

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=71876

And what is presumably the same thing on Simviation

http://simviation.com/fs2004scenery63.htm

Just to clarify I have NOT used the included AI flightplan files...

Many thanks!

Dave.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Thanks I'll give it a look-see

Could you please tell me exactly how and what you installed?

As long as you haven't put the Traffic_EGUN.bgl into any of your FSX folders, you should be alright ....

What about those other required add-ons? did you install them as well? And if, where and how?
RWY12, NOVA GOLD, RWY12 objects: RAMPLIGHTs and JETWAYS?

Has any of them accidentally a traffic file included?

Depending on your answers I'll try to do the exact same in my FSX ... and also try a FSX converted version of the "AFCAD" in case is see the same problem ;-)
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

davem
Meteor
Meteor

Post by davem »

DanKH wrote:Could you please tell me exactly how and what you installed?
Dan, the whole Mildy scenery directory (including scenery & texture directories) was just copied into the FSX addon scenery directory and added within the game as per a normal scenery addition.
DanKH wrote:As long as you haven't put the Traffic_EGUN.bgl into any of your FSX folders, you should be alright ....
Nope, I didn't touch it as I have the pre-converted MAIW package working there and didn't want anything to 'disturb' that
DanKH wrote:What about those other required add-ons? did you install them as well? And if, where and how? RWY12, NOVA GOLD, RWY12 objects: RAMPLIGHTs and JETWAYS?
I've got my complete FS9 'static objects library' and 'textures' directory running within the same directories in FSX and they contained the complete novagold and all rwy12 objects. I did not download the ramplights & jetways as I wanted to make sure verything worked before I started fiddling...
DanKH wrote:Has any of them accidentally a traffic file included?
As far as I (and AIFP) can tell, no.
DanKH wrote:and also try a FSX converted version of the "AFCAD" in case is see the same problem ;-)
I opened the FS9 AFCAD into ADE, made the necessary changes according to the fault finder and then it would not re-compile no matter what I did, stating various XML parse errors so given the amount of time I do not have at the moment, unless someone has one of those 'lightbulb!' moments, I think I'll either give this one a miss or get the UKMIL FSX AFCAD when the links are restored there. Either that or I just make do with a blank area of tarmac but with '135s and '130s sat on it!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Ok then but I'll think I'll give it a try anyway...

when you say you didn't use the traffic file, you mean you left it in the zip right? Because a traffic files would be found by FSX in more or less which ever folder it would be placed in even though you think you haven't activated it ....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image