Piper Cub

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Ben Hartmann

Re: Piper Cub

Post by Ben Hartmann »

DispatchDragon wrote:So, I say more power to you and A2A in modeling the J3 but it seems there are far better choices out there which would offer more of a challenge
Nevermind more of a challenge, perhaps more of a market???

Recent choices; as regards recent projects; clearly demonstrate that marketing and the popularity of subject is clearly misguided from a consumers' point of view.

Rgds

Ben

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

"Engine management? J3?

push black quadrant mounted on left side of cockpit to make more noise - pull to make less

thats about it - the one I used to fly actually had a carb heat - which is a rarety on J3s

Leif
"

I'm not a real world pilot (although I did get a flight in a Piper Cub on floats at Jack Browns Seaplane base, Florida) so I can't argue with that. But the cub must have some management, well, you would have to pump out the floats occasionally :-). What about starting on a cold winters day and then immediately pushing the throttle to max. Would that do any harm? Well it won't in FSX. The cub is probably not a good example but certainly with other aircraft there would be an element of engine management. Maybe I just like the idea of having things to manage. It also opens up the possibility of failure if you do things wrong which adds an element of uncertainty, fun to the sim. Like when I flew Dave G's Beaufighter from the Rhur to Scampton on one engine (because the tank selector isn;t modelled in FSX :-) ). That was actually quite fun, having the engine cough, splutter and die especially as I was lining up for landing!

Lewis - a2a
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Lewis - a2a »

I think this thread pretty much shows the trouble with MSFS that we and a handful of other developers are trying to fix.

he trouble is that MSFS has seemingly become no more than a model viewer.

With accu-sim and other developers with there own products we are in the process of trying to change this. We don't want just a good model if it flies like crap and you can floor the thing on take-off and an entire flight with no consequences. This is a simulator after-all and we are going back to simulating an aircraft and the way it operates. FSX is simply head and shoulders over FS9 when it comes to actually being able to simulate a wide range of aircraft and I believe our B377 and Thunderbolt have helped prove this as they are very successful products, hell the B377 has a whole bunch of PMDG types flying it and getting the 'tube liner' chaps to fly props is a great achievement IMO.

The cub will have like the 377 and 'bolt its own unique features as we develop accu-sim to fit it. We already have LOTS of ideas and as normal have pilots old and present of the aircraft involved telling us all sorts of interesting and often funny stories, all of this helps inspire us and gives us 'features' we can use.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

One thing that no one seems to think about is that the Cub is so much more than just an airplane as well. There's the classic J-3 sure, but there's also several dozen configuration changes to just the basic J-3 that can be made that isn't covered by the one model that MS provides. What about Tundra Tires (Tyres for the rest of you)? What about Skis? What about Floats? What about the various STOL kits available (as needless as they are)?

From the previews I saw, I counted at least 4 or 5 different models and with Accusim, I'm sure they all behave totally different, just like their real counterparts.

PS - I'm not just parroting for A2A becuase I like them and I am an avid supporter of them, but also because what they've been able to do so far with the B377 and the Thunderbolt is definitely going in a great direction for FSX and it makes flying so much more immersive, not because it's harder, but because it lets you operate the aircraft in a much more logical fashion.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Now if only Bill Lyons had thought of those. :roll:

Obviously the model is in a different league from Bill's now freeware one - and that can do with some tweaks on CG thanks to the mauling fs2002 models receive from fs2004. And it may not take kindly to the rarified atmosphere of FSX. So a pointless comparison then. :lol:

A2A (which with a bit of classic training could grow into 2BORNOT2B) certainly produce elegant models of planes with real engines, so more power to them - or not in the case of the J-3 but I digress. I hope they're still around when I finally make the leap into the great unknown of X. :000:

The marketing of complexities on something as simple as the J-3 seems to me to just highlight the difference in attitude of folk to sales approach from either side of the Pond, and I'm not trying to start a Transatlantic slanging match. :worried:

We probably understate the case in marketing, and this could be one reason why we don't have an aircraft industry that builds whole planes and you do. :flying:

Lewis - a2a
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Lewis - a2a »

What's all this marketing talk and yes we will still be around, we have been for years we have our own licensed FS engine and links with big brand names, it isn't like we are going to fall over all that easily :thumbsup:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Well, I was going to add to this thread then on looking at my old and worn out log book of thirty six years I have just realised it was the Super Cub that I once flew, I admit it is not dis-similar to the Piper Cub but knowing you lot demand and expect 100% precision :worried: ...........I now with-draw my one experience (all breath a sigh of relief) of this little chappie!! :-#

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Lewis - a2a
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Lewis - a2a »

Here is an in-flight video of A2A with an authentic 1941 Piper J-3 Cub.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx6l7GMc ... annel_page
Click watch in HD for good ole quality watching!

Rest of the A2A update can be found here;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=13541

when we get some cool things to show the cub out from the 'norm' ill let you chaps know.

Ben Hartmann

Post by Ben Hartmann »

Lewis - a2a wrote:What's all this marketing talk and yes we will still be around, we have been for years we have our own licensed FS engine and links with big brand names, it isn't like we are going to fall over all that easily :thumbsup:
It's all very well stating your why's and wherefore's like that (yes, that too is marketing talk) but your eventual downfall will be your backwards compatibility. Stratocruiser for FS9?? :dunno: Didn't think so. Piper Cub for FS9? FSAddon's will do quite nicely for now......

Developers like Alphasim & Carenado have both realised that there are people like myself who will never upgrade to FSX, and value our custom, if A2A could be a bit more that way inclined there would be more of an incentive to purchase addons from yourselve's...............

Rgds

Ben

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Ben, unfortunately, you fail to understand where A2A's drive is and where the majority of FS users are and where they are going. They are not staying with FS9 nor is it possible to integrate Accusim with FS9 due to its complexity.

Sadly Ben, you are in the minority. As more and more addons are released for FSX, especially of the quality of A2A, the more they move to FSX. There have been several posts in A2A's forum talking about how their new releases have been why users have bought FSX and have been impressed with how the sim has worked on their computers. Just as there are still a few holdouts that are using FS2002 and even FS2000 for whatever reason, that should not be a reason for developers to stop moving forward.

The point is Ben - if they weren't selling units at a decent rate in FSX, they wouldn't be moving forward on that path. I'll be frank Ben - Alphasim & Carenado haven't ever been known as "leading edge" developers. They have always used proven technology and their releases have been to the level of others, but not pushing the boundaries as developers like A2A, PMDG (for all their problems), Aerosoft, and EagleSoft Development Group (to name a few) have been.