Vulcan to the Sky

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Vulcan to the Sky

Post by DaveB »

Hi Stafflad :wave:

One thing I notice in all of those shots is your elevons.. they're always up! Nowt unusual with that model though as it doesn't fly level without a fair bit of trim from what I remember :) Considering it's age.. they did a fair old job with it didn't they ;-)

Nice shots staffers :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

delticbob wrote:I'm pleased that - for now - the aircraft remains airborne.

On a slightly different tack - followed the YouTube link above & viewed some of the related films. Found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGOY1jZG ... re=related

I have seen stills of this crash, but didn't think any film of the incident existed...just 9 days before my first birthday.

Bob

Bob, is that the accident which was caused by the airframe being overstressed during its display ( or something like that ) ? I too have seen stills of it, but am equally surprised that film exists of it happening.

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

The pilot was displaying at RAF Syerston and was outside his permited speed and roll rates, therefor the wing had a catrastrophic failure...

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ker bump...

A bit of VA server downtime yesterday had me looking around the hangar finding things I'd not flown for a while and 558 came out for the first time in YONKS!..

Decided to do a 'quickie' from Prestwick to Keflavic and was shocked to see how poor it's performance was when flown vaguely seriously over a comparatively long distance :o Thank goodness for inflight refuelling (alt/aircraft/fuel-payload/LOADS OF FUEL) :lol: I guess most of us only poodle along pretending to do airshows so any probs aren't normally noticed but the PSS/JF model is SO off the mark in FS9, I don't know how they managed to get away with it! It wouldn't climb to any decent sort of altitude full of fuel without falling from the sky due to zero airspeed and it's high fuelburn make it the shortest range long range bomber in existance :roll: It also burns more off one side than the other.. odd :think: Anyone know of any 'after market' tweeks to this old girl or have we all accepted it as being as real as it gets?? One thing I've done is half the parasite drag so it'll now climb above FL200 in reasonable fashion and fuelburn/range is much better. It actually goes quite well now so there's still some life left in the old girl for those of us stuck in yesteryear :rock: :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Details of that crash here....

http://www.john-dillon.co.uk/V-Force/vx770.html

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

DaveB wrote:Ker bump...

A bit of VA server downtime yesterday had me looking around the hangar finding things I'd not flown for a while and 558 came out for the first time in YONKS!..

Decided to do a 'quickie' from Prestwick to Keflavic and was shocked to see how poor it's performance was when flown vaguely seriously over a comparatively long distance :o Thank goodness for inflight refuelling (alt/aircraft/fuel-payload/LOADS OF FUEL) :lol: I guess most of us only poodle along pretending to do airshows so any probs aren't normally noticed but the PSS/JF model is SO off the mark in FS9, I don't know how they managed to get away with it! It wouldn't climb to any decent sort of altitude full of fuel without falling from the sky due to zero airspeed and it's high fuelburn make it the shortest range long range bomber in existance :roll: It also burns more off one side than the other.. odd :think: Anyone know of any 'after market' tweeks to this old girl or have we all accepted it as being as real as it gets?? One thing I've done is half the parasite drag so it'll now climb above FL200 in reasonable fashion and fuelburn/range is much better. It actually goes quite well now so there's still some life left in the old girl for those of us stuck in yesteryear :rock: :lol:

ATB

I can think of one tweek, buy FSX and then buy the IRIS Vulcan! :dancer: :000:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeh.. ok Chris :lol: I already have FSX and Accel and have had the former since the dark days of pre SP1 ;-) Nice try though :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

:roll: well im sure you could try the IRIS Vulcan...

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

IF Iris did a try before you buy demo, I'd certainly try it mate but to be brutally honest.. I don't use FSX enough to justify buying anything for it. I only bought Accel under duress.. not for SP2 which I already had but to be able to use Ark Royal IV for carrier ops! :o I'd love to be able to bring it up to the standard of my FS9 but I have neither the will nor the money. One day maybe but not any day soon ;-)
Anyway.. the PSS Vulcan suits me fine in FS9. I bought it when it came out and have flown it more in the last 2 days than I have in the last 6 years. It'll probably be another 6 years before I fly it again! :lol: While it's VC is as rough as a badgers bum compared to modern models, it's 2D remains one of the best I've seen and this is where I live.. in the world of 2D panels ;-)

ATB

ImageImage