FCS Wimpy now downloadable

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Javis
Meteor
Meteor

FCS Wimpy now downloadable

Post by Javis »

Hey guys,

Remarkably no report on this Wimpy model yet ( or did i miss it ? If the Wimpy isn't British and Classic i dunno what is... :dunno: ). I had my eyes on it after the first screenies were revealed but i didn't understand FCS' policy of a boxed version only. So now they have finally seen the light i just bought it and thought you guys might like a quick evaluation.

In a nutshell : i love it ! :thumbsup:

Excellent modeling outside and in. In my amateur eyes, yes, that's a Wellington there, standing on the tarmac, and yes, after boarding it i am deffinately sitting in a Wellington cockpit alright. I have only seen a real Wimpy at a museum once and made an Airfix model of it way back when Verlinden was just a boy too or maybe not even was born..The model has always been very dear to me hence my soft spot for the Wimpy.

The textures are very well done too, however, as was already mentioned in an earlier thread about this model, there is indeed a funny 'wood grain' touch added to the external textures . It does a very good job of simulating that the Wimpy's skin was made out of wood, just a bummer for the texture artist that this was not case... ( and IF it was i wonder if one could still see the grain after a few coats of paint were applied )

The flightmodel seems to be quite convincing ( certainly no signs of wood grain here ) atleast it convinced me of flying a lite, mid winged, two engined bomber and not, say, a DC-3. I was a bit surprised about the rather long take-off run but that could easily be me for not setting correct trim and i was probabely waaay too heavy ( of course i did not read the flight handbook which, as i found out later, seems not to be there although there is a very good check list and ref.htm )

Last but not least the sound, very important : here's where it all becomes a bit critical alas... What is great about the Wimpy soundsuite is that it certainly does not resemble two P&W's or Cyclones at work, this just *might* resemble the sound of a pair of Pegasus engines being put to their paces but what spoils the fun to great extent is the dreaded 'phase shifting' effect ( remember Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces ? ) which can always be heared when identical wavs are being used for multiple engine models. Also transition into the various rpm's is not exactly what you could call smooth. For a 25GBP model i would've expected a better soundsuite but nontheless, together with the excellent VC ( true 3D gauges with superb needle update ) it still does the job of Wimpy pilot make believe quite well.

Overall performance is excellent ( talking FSX here.... you'll get both genuine FSX and FS9 models ) although the VC textures take a sec or two to settle down.

One model snatch i noticed so far : the fuel dump tubes run right thru the flaps when extended, where ( i believe ) the aft part should fold down with the flaps.

It would also have been nice if the VC Yoke could have been moved out of sight. It partly blocks the view on the altimeter, compass and turn coordinator. The Yoke is very well modeled though. What contraption ! :)

Final words : after just a few circuits i'm loving my Wimpy no matter what ! :dance:

Cheers,
Jan

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Re: FCS Wimpy now downloadable

Post by Quixoticish »

For the benefits of those who don't know what "Wimpy" refers to or who FCS are:

http://www.simsoftware.co.uk/product_in ... cts_id=276

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

There is also a sale going on through the weekend which prompted me to purchase it last night. I like it a lot.

ONly issue encountered is a flickering texture on the oil pressure gauges. Haven't been able to find a patch or determine if others have the same issue or not.

--WH

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Thx for the HU... :thumbsup:

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

Oh no! I missed the sale. What was the weekend price?

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Had a look for the sale but couldn't see it myself.
Either it ended or was very low key.
Is the Wimpy any good. Thought I had read a review that the flight characteristics were rubbish.
Happy to be proved wrong as I rather like it.

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

The sale was for 25% off all FCS products through the weekend.

It's a really nice product, but it has some issues with FS9. Although I've seen some negative comments on the exterior textures, they look quite nice on my machine. And I like the sounds, handling and both panels.

The issues include lack of static aircraft textures for the addon airfield and some missing or malfunctioning gauges, mostly in the vC. There is rumoured to be a patch or fix available that I'm still tracking down.

The other thing I noted is that the aircraft has a fixed tail wheel. All Marks except the prototype had a retractable tail wheel. I don't suspect they will fix this as it would require all new models, but it still doesn't detract from the flying.

I enjoy challenging flights at night and over some distance, so I made two modificaitons so far. I've added a better popup compass from my JF Mosquito pack and some VC lighting. The gauges are well lit at night, but not the panel so the additional VC lighting makes it more enjoyable for me.

--WH

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

The other main complaint is the fact that in FSX (not sure about FS9), is the 'floating' VC. You move your seat up (for landing) and there is no sign of the nose and when you open the side window, fresh air is visible, where the wing should be. This (and many other small niggles) should have sorted out at the beta stage.

This had the makings of a cracking FS add-on, but for a 'lick'o paint', she falls well short, which is a shame.
ATB Trev

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Funnily enough, I was wondering whether anybody had got it yet. The latest copy of PC Pilot gives it 75%, though I wouldn't ever base a purchase on one of their reviews, to be honest. The use of wooden barrels for engine nacelles still astonishes me...have they not sorted that out yet ? :roll:

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

What I forgot to mention is that there is no technical support. I've sent three messages over their web site, and have not received a single acknowledgement or answer to my questions. :@

I have received some responses from a couple of folks who worked on the project, so there's still some hope. :welldone:

--WH