Sound Editing Software

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paule
Comet
Comet

Sound Editing Software

Post by Paule »

Currently putting old and scratchy vinyl (LP and Singles) on to CD. My version of Adobe Audition is damaged so have been trying out 'Audacity' from www.sourceforge.net. Its free, and I am quite impressed with its capability. The 'draw into sample' tool is VG for getting rid of isolated clicks and pops. I am using the stable version without problems.

Worth a look if you want to dabble with sound files at zero cost!

Paul

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Sound Editing Software

Post by DaveB »

Hi Paul..

Tks for that. I have Audacity but one thing is stopping me transfering my LP's.. my direct-drive deck went t*ts up after about 20secs of me digging it out of storage and having checked out the prices for DD decks these days.. it's cheaper for me to replace the LP's with CD's :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I got into converting LPs to CDs a few years ago and used this software....

http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/

It is excellent as it was designed specifically to get rid of pops, crackles, scratches and rumbles and nothing else! In fact I liked it so much I even paid the minimal registration fee (about the only shareware software I have EVER paid for) and now I get free updates whenever the author feels like updating (although I must admit it's been a year or so since the last one).

I can't praise it highly enough and I have Audacity and Sonar Producer (semi-pro computer based recording studio software) too.
Larry

Paule
Comet
Comet

Post by Paule »

Larry,
I'll give Waverep a whirl, but my wee pension won't run to 30 dollars for the full package.

Dave
Don't buy new. I currently use a second hand Sony 'XO-D10' (nowt special), paid £25 for it in my local Age Concern. My CD player is a Pioneer made in 1993 bought from Cash Converters for £18 after some hard bargaining. I have an old Fisher Studio DD deck from 1987 that still works but am looking for a pre-amp so I can use it.

cheers
Paul

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Paule wrote:Larry,
I'll give Waverep a whirl, but my wee pension won't run to 30 dollars for the full package.
Paul, try it for 30 days and see if you like it as it is very powerful and does an excellent job of removing all the unwanted 'noise' from vinyl. I just checked the site again and I guess inflation has come into play as I only paid about 15-20 dollars for it around 5 years ago.

[Whisper] You could always uninstall it after 30 days and re-install it for another 30 day trial [/whisper] :think: ;-)
Larry

Paule
Comet
Comet

Post by Paule »

Larry
Four Seasons (Frankie Valli) scheduled to hit the turntable tomorrow, so I will use Waverep on that. Keep yer fingers crossed for me.

Paul

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Paule wrote:Larry
Four Seasons (Frankie Valli) scheduled to hit the turntable tomorrow, so I will use Waverep on that. Keep yer fingers crossed for me.
Take your time and make sure you read the manual on how to use it as it has a LOT of features and it takes a bit of practice to get the best out of it but you will be very happy with the results once you get the hang of it.

I had a buddy bring me several records over to convert for him (including some of him playing in a band back in the 70's) and some of them were in a deplorable state! Covered in scratches and dust/dirt, one even had beer or coke spilled on it at some point and it had been stuffed back in the sleeve like that! :o

I started out by washing the records under running warm water with a soft cloth dipped in dish soap (making sure I kept water off the label of course). Once they had air dried I recorded them with Wave Repair and then set about de-clicking and removing the scratches. It took several hours to complete each album (I worked on one track at a time) but when I had finished they sounded like they were brand new again. It was a lot of work but they were in really bad condition and to be honest I was amazed that I was able to get them as clean sounding as I did.
Larry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

my direct-drive deck went t*ts up after about 20secs
.No,not familiar with that term Dave.Could it mean that one suffered a technical malfunction? :think: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Exactly Eric.. it went tech :lol: Pee'd me off no end as I'd not used it for years and it cost me an arm and a leg. JVC's finest of the day it was too :'( Can't be doing with the cheaper rubber-band jobs so that's it. My LP's and singles live in the shed with the ZX9R and garden tools ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!