Firefox??

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Firefox??

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guy's..

A bit of an eye opener here. You know me and 'new' stuff.. if it aint broke, don't fix it :lol: Having only recently (on this pc) gone 'UP' to IE7 (on the other one I tried when IE7 came out, it was uninstalled in less than 30mins!) and found the fuzzy fonts are still there, I decided to throw caution to the wind this evening and try Firefox. Fifteen mins into tonights NCIS was all it took after the pc mysteriosly shutdown :roll:
Did I really need fuzzy fonts and streaming video that wasn't smooth?? Well, nothing ventured e t c and the pc was restarted. Firefox entered into the search engine.. downloaded and installed. First impressions.. could something so small really work?? The answer is a simple one.. YES :rock: Worked out of the box.. runs faster than IE7.. streams video as smooth as watching it live on the box (only better as my monitor is a far higher res).. saved all my favourites.. search engine and settings AND.. NO FUZZY FONTS :welldone:

Will I be using IE7 or trying IE8 again.. :fart: ... crude but accurate :D Firefox setup file is 7.01mb as opposed to IE7 at 14.7mb.. half the size and twice the speed (difficult to quantify this exactly but with streaming video - Demand Five - absolutely NO stuttering whatsoever for an hours worth of tv at fullscreen and I can't say that about IE7). Shocked, stunned, satisfied :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Re: Firefox??

Post by DispatchDragon »

hehehehe

Welcome David -- did we mention you have to sell your soul to use Firefox??? :lol: :roll: ;-)

Everyone comes over eventually!

Leif

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I've been using Firefox and it's predecessor Mozilla for years and never had a problem. IE6/7...what's that? :dunno:

It also has a number of neat add-ons you can download for it too. I use the add-on dictionary to spell check forum posts as I type, the 'Cookie Safe' add-on is a great way of managing your cookies and it remembers which sites you use cookies for and turns them on automatically and 'Reminder Fox' is a great tool that adds a calendar/reminder function to Firefox which I use for keeping track of all the F1 race dates, test match dates and doctor's appointments etc.

If you have stopped using IE7 (you can't delete it as it is an integral part of Windows) you may also want to forget about 'Outback Distress' if you are still using that. 'Thunderbird' is a full function mail and news reader from the same people that make Firefox and it is way better than OE and the same add-ons are available for that too.
Larry

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Welcome to the club Mr B :lol:

You can get a lot of nifty plugins for Firefox as well..although mine still refuses to make my morning coffee :roll: :lol:

Derek

edit: I should have read Larry's post more closely :roll:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Dave

You might also want to try the "NoScript" addon. It can be a pain until you allow the scripts on your regularly visited sites but for those occasional explorations outside the norm, it will stop any nasty scripts.

Hence whenever there have been warnings on here about hacked sites with viruses/trojans, NoScript would just block them and the site appears normal.

Others will have their favourites (adblock comes to mind).

Anyway as Derek said "welcome to the club".

Ian

Prop Jockey
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Prop Jockey »

I recently did the same, finally fed up with yet another high profile vunerability from Microsoft. The difference in speed between IE 7 and Firefox is just amazing on my system. I even upgraded to IE to 8 to see if that helped, but Firefox still kicks its @rse :prayer:

Cheers

Rich

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I must say, I'm really tempted but a bit nervous about trying it :worried:

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

It works well Peter...

..try it, you can always uninstall ;-)

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

It's good 'ere 'innit :lol:

Peter.. I only moved up to IE7 recently as a few of the websites I visit (Simmarket being one) doesn't fully support IE6 anymore so you get areas of misplaced characters. IE7 fixed that in one go but.. the fuzzy fonts I saw when it first came out remained. I went the whole hog and put IE8 on to see if that improved things and (for me) it didn't. No noticeable increases in speed or clarity.. the opposite in fact, so off it came to leave IE7 holding the fort. This pc (my daily do everything pc) still has IE6 and I'm happy to leave it that way.
I really am still a firm believer in 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' but IE7 broke it and IE8 made it worse so I saw no harm in trying Firefox. One of the best things I've seen thus far is that it looks very similar to both IE6 and IE7 and NOT like a completely different program so finding my way around is easy. As mentioned above, it really IS faster than IE7/8 while claiming to be more secure and at half the overall size. Try it and if you don't like it, it's only an uninstall away ;-)

One thing I've meant to ask.. how does it keep itself updated?? Does it check itself when it goes online and lets you know if it's in date?? I'm so used to Windows Update doing things for me, to use something 'outside the box' feels a little odd :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Dave :wave:

Firefox will find updates and ask if you want them ;-)

..go to 'tools..options', to set up your preferences ;-)

Derek

Airborne Signals