Firefox??

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Firefox??

Post by Filonian »

Now converted, many thanks for the pointers. :thumbsup:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Oh dear, Dave, were you living in the last century still? :o ;-)

Favourite add-ons for me are IE Tab for those pesky sites that refuse to use proper HTML and Adblock Plus which really clears up some sites!
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Thanks for the pointers to Firefox.

Discussing the matter with a friend today, he spent 10 years in the It industry before changing his profession to that of alternative medicine, he recommended 'Google Chrome' as a very good program for web browsing. Has anyone any recent experience of the latter program?

I should like to see any comments prior to taking the 'plunge' and changing from IE8.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

hobby wrote:I should like to see any comments prior to taking the 'plunge' and changing from IE8.
You don't have to take any plunges. It's not like anti-virus programs where you can only use one. I've got Firefox, Chrome and IE 8 all next to each other on my desktop. You can use them alternately (or even at the same time) and see which one you like. Chrome is as fast as Firefox and has a funkier interface but I tend not to use it as much because, although it has a lot of features they are hidden (on purpose) to simplify the interface. Despite the slightly faster speed of Firefox, I find the interface a bit staid and old-fashioned. IE 8 may be a nano-second slower but it still works quicker than I do! I like it's interface and it's features and tend to use it more than the others. I find it more intuitive. It's great we've got a choice, but in the end they're only picture frames.

As for a spellchecker, I use the one I was given at school. It's good enough for this forum :lol: :lol:

Ian :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Many nails have been hit on the head since the dawn of this thread :lol: If you're happy with either IE7 or 8 and it runs well on your system, then there really isn't any reason to change. I'm currently looking at you lot through IE6 and I like it. I liked it when it upgraded IE5 and I still like it now. It's not trendy, funky or anything else other than a functional browser that's had loads of security holes plugged over the past few years. The whole point of my 'upgrade' was because a few (make that 1) of the websites I visit are now written for a minimum of IE7 so I see bits that shouldn't be there or are misplaced.
I tried IE7 when it came out and saw fuzzy screen fonts 'within' the browser. I know a lot of other folk did too. For that reason, I uninstalled it pronto. Had I not got 'fuzzy' screen fonts (within the browser).. I'd have stayed with '7'. However.. due to the probs mentioned above.. I decided to accept the fuzzy fonts for what they were (on another pc.. different drivers, cpu.. TOTALLY different setup) so that I could navigate my way around the problem sites without the misplaced text. This has only been over the last 4 to 6 weeks at most and only because the release of ver8 was imminent. No way was I going that far :lol:
Of course, over those weeks.. IE8 has landed so I thought I'd give it a go. It didn't work on the 'new' pc as already mentioned so at that point.. I thought I'd bit the bullet and try something completely different. Something that WOULD work on those sites requiring more than IE6 but nowt to do with M$ and so.. I picked on Firefox.
I suppose it's a product of the way I browse (is that hip or what!) that at least 98%.. perhaps more of what ALL of these browsers offer is a complete and utter waste of time for me. I neither NEED or WANT all the do-dits. I want to hit the button and see what should be there.. plain and simple. For me, Firefox does this in a not dissimilar way to IE6 while giving a slightly trendier look (not far removed from 7) so on the 'newer' pc.. that's what I've decided to stick with. On this pc.. I can't be @rsed. It has IE6 which works on all but a small minority of sites (again.. probably 1 or 2 at most) and I have no intention of adding Firefox at the mo. As Ian says.. I could.. then decide to choose which one I wanted at the moment of impact but at the mo.. that's too much trouble :lol: I have to say that Firefox managed to stream video a fair whack faster than IE7.. (I never tried it with v8) which is an added bonus and another reason for me to keep it on that pc ;-)

Dear me.. is anyone reading this or have you all fallen asleep like I did 20mins ago :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

SNORK!!!...HUH???>>>Wha'?????...you say something Dave? |-)
Larry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Could this be the last word on the subject ... ?

Naah - shouldn't think so :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Did you detect that I was bored.. there was nowt on TV.. and I wasn't flying :lol:

Oddly enough, reading it again this morning.. it's all true! :o :cpu: :D

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

stegs
Trident
Trident

Post by stegs »

If I read something on CBFS forums with IE7 it automatically marks it as read. This doesn't happen with Firefox.
I'd prefer to use Firefox but it is a bit annoying that I have to manually tell it I've read it.
Any ideas?

Steve

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Sounds like a problem with your set up mate. I'm pretty sure the phpBB guys (the ones who write the forum software) tested it more extensivly with Firefox than IE. Maybe one of the Firfox guys can sugest how you might sort it.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage