AVSIM hacked and destroyed???

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: AVSIM hacked and destroyed???

Post by speedbird591 »

Avsim survivors have set up a temporary forum here http://linux.myalbemarle.org/forums/index.php

We can keep up with news and updates.

Ian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Cheers Ian :thumbsup:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

DispatchDragon wrote:I now find the fact that yesterday afternoon (night MST) I got there hacking attempt warnings at the Pond -- I assumed at the time it was because Rob was in the back working on the Mk2 Pond - but now I am not so sure.

Its sad when someone does such damage I hope that the good folks at Avsim can return soon

Leif
The Pond's complete file structure and database is backed up every 2 hours, twice daily, and twice weekly to seperate backup files so I don't catch it within 2 hours I can go back to one from the day before and so on. To not do so with a site as big as Avsim strikes be as very crazy so I can only guess they got into the backup files somehow too.

I wish them all the best with getting things back up and running as soon as they can.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

thehappyotter wrote:The Pond's complete file structure and database is backed up every 2 hours, twice daily, and twice weekly to seperate backup files so I don't catch it within 2 hours I can go back to one from the day before and so on. To not do so with a site as big as Avsim strikes be as very crazy so I can only guess they got into the backup files somehow too.
I saw a posting over at SOH where the owner of AVSIM explained that they had two servers known as 'green' and 'purple'. However, 'green' was used to house the back-up files from 'purple' while 'purple' was used to house the back-up files from 'green'. The idea was that if one server went down they could switch to the other and have all the files safe and be back up and running again almost immediately.

Unfortunately the hacker took out BOTH servers by apparently deleting the hard drive partition tables!

Too late now but I can't help thinking that an 'offsite/offline' back-up storage location might have been a better option.
Larry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

According to a poster on Simviation who seems to be a part of Avsim it was an inside job done by someone with root admin privialges.

Garry
Garry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

At the end of the day more effort should be made to track down these little nerds who do it and take action. It is in fact Criminal damage. No different than the little yob who destroys the bus shelter and about the same mentality. Put a few behind bars and that will reduce the problem. Beginning to sound like VM.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It's being forensically examined so it looks like they are deterimined to get ther culprit banged to rights.

Garry
Garry

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Garry Russell wrote:It's being forensically examined so it looks like they are deterimined to get ther culprit banged to rights.

Garry
You're too forgiving, Garry ;-)
Never mind his 'rights', just bang him up - for a long long time.
(Of course it may have been a female person)

ATB, and keep well
MikeW

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Bang to rights meansour rights not his that is the rights of society.

Up to me he would go away for a very long time.

Garry
Garry

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

emfrat wrote:
Garry Russell wrote:It's being forensically examined so it looks like they are deterimined to get ther culprit banged to rights.

Garry
You're too forgiving, Garry ;-)
Never mind his 'rights', just bang him up - for a long long time.
(Of course it may have been a female person)

ATB, and keep well
MikeW
Whilst it depends on which country the server is based, if it is in the UK I have personally sucsessfully prosecuted someone using the Computer Misuse Act of 1990 for something similar. A lad who hacked into the computer system of his school and deleted the predicted exam grades for the entire 6th forms A-Level's. I'm sure there is similar legislation in most other legally advanced countries.

I used Section 3 of the act (Unauthorised modification of computer material) which carries 5 years in prison if tried on indictment or 6 months if tried summarily as well as a fine.

It states (for those bored enough to read law...)

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he does any act which causes an unauthorised modification of the contents of any computer; and

(b) at the time when he does the act he has the requisite intent and the requisite knowledge.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above the requisite intent is an intent to cause a modification of the contents of any computer and by so doing—

(a) to impair the operation of any computer;

(b) to prevent or hinder access to any program or data held in any computer; or

(c) to impair the operation of any such program or the reliability of any such data.

(3) The intent need not be directed at—

(a) any particular computer;

(b) any particular program or data or a program or data of any particular kind; or

(c) any particular modification or a modification of any particular kind.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above the requisite knowledge is knowledge that any modification he intends to cause is unauthorised.

(5) It is immaterial for the purposes of this section whether an unauthorised modification or any intended effect of it of a kind mentioned in subsection (2) above is, or is intended to be, permanent or merely temporary.

(6) For the purposes of the [1971 c. 48.] Criminal Damage Act 1971 a modification of the contents of a computer shall not be regarded as damaging any computer or computer storage medium unless its effect on that computer or computer storage medium impairs its physical condition.

(7) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or to both; and

(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to a fine or to both.