Help with olympic colours

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Help with olympic colours

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi All.
I am trying to do some repaints on a freeware aircraft in the olympic airlines colours,of the 1970.
I have got an approx colour from a photo,but this is not the best way to do it,i need to find the red/green/blue blends for all the olympic colours.both on the olympic rings and the blue stripe.
Regards alan.

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Re: Help with olympic colours

Post by clavel9 »

The RGB values for the Olympic rings are as follows:

Blue: 56/82/164
Yellow: 245/235/18
Green: 105/189/69
Red: 237/34/36

Black is of course black! These are the official IOC colours. That is not to say that Olympic didn't use a variation of these for their livery: I suspect the colours were only standardised relatively recently. Also, of course, you might decide that you will need to tweak the colours to look "right" on screen.

Maybe this will help to get you started.
B.

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Be aware the titles are handed with the flying serif always pointing backwards ;-)

Also make allowances for flightsims bleaching and contrast..white no more then 238 238 238 and black about 20 20 20 all other colours to be slighly modified to suit. :worried:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi All.
I have just put these here,so i can get some help,this is the work in progress i am doing,and i need help with the greek fonts that was used on the nose,the pics show no name as yet.
the fonts are in greek,but cannot figure if they used ancient or new greek fonts,i think they are done in capitals,not many pics about,but the amount of knolledge on this site,i was hoping some one could help.
the names that should be on the reg numbers are as follows.
SX-BBG= ISLAND OF KEPHALONIA
SX-BBH= ISLAND OF ITHACA
SX-BBI= ISLAND OF SAMOTHRAKI
SX-BBK= ISLAND OF ZAKYNTHOS
SX-BBL= ISLAND OF DELOS
SX-BBP= ISLAND OF ANDROS
SX-BBQ= ISLAND OF KALYMNOS
SX-BBR= ISLAND OF MILOS
SX-BBJ= ?
SX-BBM= ?

Thankyou in advance for any help in this quest.
Regards alan :cool:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Alan

I can't advise offhand about the Greek as I don't remember what I did and it's not on this machine

One thing is you need to get the wing root and nosewheel doors to match the bottom (never easy)....or maybe the other way round or a bit of both :worried:

Are you using 255 255 255 for white??? as it seems to be bleaching.

The lettering seems very thick as if it's been copied and that hasn't worked out too well altough it is hard to tell as there seems to be an AA problem too :think: ......if you want you can lift stuff off one of my Comet paints.

Garry
Garry

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi Garry.
Thanks for the advice,cant remember of hand about the white settings,i just used one of my swatches,i will have to check on that.
As for the OLYMPIC logo,i got a pic of the olympic rings and Olympic name,from which i made a temple from,then i had to do a right hand one,an then i resized my decal to fit the model,and tried to smooth of the edges,it was the best i could do,as i did not have the correct fonts to modify for olympic.
When you say there seems to be an AA problem,do you mean anti alasing.
Regards alan.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Alan

White needs to be no more than 238 as FS bleaches the white :cool: ...it will look a little dull on the bitmap but great in FS.

The Olympic title as with just about everything in those days was not a font and as such unless someone makes the special lettering as they have with Pan Am for example, you will be stuck with it. Flying serifs have to be edited manually in cases like this :cpu:

With many of my paints tites come off a time tables and retouched if needed. Sometimes they have to be re created using standard parts of letters cloned and filled in. I usually increase it 400 percent an use a resolution of 400. Do the clean up then resize and reduce the res back to 200. It is quite usual for me to spend four or five times as long doing the titles and logos as the paint itself. In the case of the in excess of 50 paints for the 748 I did not one title was a font although a few were bits of more than one font retouched and edited.

Yep AA I mean Anti Alias :)

On the whole it is a good paint and a lot of what I am mentioning shows up because you have zoomed in so close.

Garry
Garry

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi Garry.
When i checked the swatch i used,you where right,i had used the white 255 setting when i made the swatch,the white on the fuse has been redone with the settings of 238,i had a swatch with these settings done before,but i tend to use it for my alpha channels,used once it gives a dull sheen,if i use this setting twice,then i get a very high metalic sheen.
As for the metal not being the same between the fuse and the nosegeardoor/belly,this is a problem with the paintkit,but i did know that i would be going back to these areas to make the match,with shading,that is the least of my problems,trying to figure out what greek language is used on the nose,is proving a right royal pain in the rear,cannot figure if it is moden or ancient greek or a local type of greek,as there appears to be a few variants to it.
regards alan. :cool:

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

This site:

http://dimijet.free.fr/OLYMPIC_AIRWAYS.htm

tells us that SX-BBG was called "ISLAND OF KEFALLONIA". From what I can gather (looking at photos of other Olympic aircraft), the name appeared in English in a "Greek" font on the starboard side and in actual Greek on the port side. The font is a bit like Acropolis but was more likely just hand-painted in a block-like Greek style. The wiki page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefallonia

will give you the Greek transliteration of "Kefallonia" but perhaps there a Greek person out there who can help with the full translation!

B.

EDIT: You could try the font "Adonais" available for download here:

http://www.fontspace.com/category/greek