Argosy Textures

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Argosy Textures

Post by Badgerman »

Hello,

1st post here, and I hope I'm not bringing up something everybody already knows...!

I've loaded the AW Argosy - and yes, I know it's not made for it, but I'm getting her going in FSX SP2 w Acceleration. She flies wonderfully, and I simply can't believe that something of this quality I've gotten for free. One teeny-tiny problem that I've noticed, is that the Undercarriage struts, propellers, and of all things the pilots are transparent, of course that's a texture thingy... has anybody already figured out a fix ?

And yes... I know it wasn't made for FSX, but it's what I have! Thanks in advance, and I simply can't believe that I finally found a place with all the aircraft I fell in love with as a child!

Mark

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Argosy Textures

Post by Garry Russell »

Hello Mark

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Sounds more like a model issue and the parts reading aplha transparent rather than alpha shine

Removing any alpha channel on the relevant textures might help but not off the spinning props..perhaps you mean stationary props

There is no 'fix' as it is not broken. ;-)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Hello,

Yes - it's the spinning props only, in addition to the gear legs. And yes, please don't think I'm complaining... I know it's no it's my fault for stuffing it into FSX to see what happens... and when you're flying, you can't see the props/undercarriage anyway...!

Mark

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Mark.......

I don't think your'e complaining but I wanted to point out there is not a fix as that implies there is a fault.

I guess you mean a patch but as far as I know there is nothing.

I have heard of others running the Argosy in FS.X but I've not see anything mentioned about the wheel legs or pilots, but they may have run it in an earlier version. The spinning props will be a problem and any texture changes will only be partly sucessful in that case as the model material is set up for FS.9 and the values for FS.X are quite different.

I can't imagine why the other bits would be transparent :think:

Garry
Garry

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Guys,

Basicly aircarft made using Pre FSX versions of the FSDS tool have some funnies that can't be fixed. The prop discs are a known problem and there is no way they can be fixed without re doing the model... infact, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but even models made using the latest version of FSDS, if compiled for FS2004 will still have the prop problem.

The other issue that FSX introduces is that parts that were originally made as a coloured part, i.e. not textured, often show up funny, sometimes transparent, sometimes black. I know DM did some work on the Trident and VC10 to resolve this, but again, I think it needs a recompile of the model so not something thats easy to fix I'm affraid.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The prop texture is a problem and even making an FS.X version using FS.9 SDK leaves transparent cut off.

Props will always be a problem just some are worse than others. Using a differnt texture may make it better but won't eliminate the problem it wil be there to a greater or lesser extent.

I know with untextured parts they would appear black in early FS.X and transaprent parts either appeared black or invisible but quite wht things like undercarriage legs that are not transparent parts should show clear.

I think I remember folks having black U/C legs and parts of the VC missing due to missplacement of textures common to all paints. :think:

Garry
Garry

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Forgot about that Garry! Badgerman... try opening up the default 737 then open up one of its texture folders. There should be a texture.cfg file. Copy this file to each tecture folder on the Argosy and see if it makes any difference... it won't for the props, but may help the other bits ;-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Thanks for all the talk on this subject - you've been very informative for a MSFS newbie...

Once again, I don't want to appear as though I'm slagging the Argosy - it's such a nice model, I can't help but appreciate it, gear legs or no!

Mark

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

I had the missing gear legs on Rick's Herald as per this thread will dig the Herald out again to see what I did took a while to do

http://www.cbfsim.org/cbfsim/cbfsBB/vie ... =1&t=16787
Rich

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

The answer is I think, the prop,crew and gear textures are in the wrong place due to FSX.

Locate the origional unzipped Argosy folder, open it inside should be 4 folders, named Aircraft, Effects, Gauges and Texture the texture folder has the gear etc textures, what I did is copy the texture folder into the main Argosy folder in the Aircraft folder so you have

texture.bea

texture.ipec

texture.IPECSAFE

texture.SAFE

texture.Transair

texture.Turas

Texture rename this to sharedtexture

make a new text file and copy paste these lines into it

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\sharedtexture

save and close the text file then rename it to texture.cfg that will give you a cfg file copy that cfg file into each of the above texture folders except the sharedtexture folder.

Start FSX and you should have props pilots and gear

The Herald was indeed a missing texture, gear.bmp for which I made a bodge version that works ok
Rich