Argosy Textures

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Argosy Textures

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Rch

I can understand the textures missing and then the parts would be black but I can't understand the parts being transparent :dunno:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Garry, I am not sure is the base model black or transparent ?
Rich

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Rich

Only the windows and prop disksa dncargo that I know of..............most of it' is grey

If there was no texture FS.X made it black on an ordinary part but I thought that was only on the pre SP version.

Garry
Garry

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Garry, no problem with the prop as it is a transparent disk as it should be, I think the planes that do have prop problems do not have completly transparent disk when the engine is runnin as in the case of Mr Ito's prop planes they look reflective to me.

I have seen the same on other models where a texture is missing I get trasparent parts that can only just be seen then check in the model file to see if there is a texture being called for which is'nt in the texture folder then if missing either find said texture or bodge a replacement as with the Herald, in Fs9 it was'nt noticed as the model showed as grey.
Rich

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

You can get FS.9 props that are transparent OK in FS.X but there are times where it cuts out backgrounds and clouds.

That is what I meant when I was saying FS 9 props don't work properly to a greater or lesser degree.

All anyone other than the author can do is try different prop textures but the way the material is set up makes a difference too. The author can get a material and texture that works OK visually but there will still be cutting out of backgrounds behind the disk.

It's the pilot and undercarrige only that surprises me here..nothing else....black or any other bland untextured colour I would understand but not transparent...maybe another quirk of FS.X?? Also the mention of propellers being transparent which of course they should be when spinning makes me think it is the still prop that is also a problem here. :dunno:

It will be interesting to see if setting it up the way Ben suggests gets rid of the problem....which hopefully it will.

Garry
Garry

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Garry, the props are fine in FSX on the Argosy, the way I get the textures to show is as explained above much the same as Ben's suggestion without a blanket,

try opening up the default 737 then open up one of its texture folders. There should be a texture.cfg file. Copy this file to each tecture folder on the Argosy and see if it makes any difference... it won't for the props, but may help the other bits.

My suggestion

Locate the origional unzipped Argosy folder, open it inside should be 4 folders, named Aircraft, Effects, Gauges and Texture the texture folder has the gear etc textures, what I did is copy the texture folder into the main Argosy folder in the Aircraft folder so you have

texture.bea

texture.ipec

texture.IPECSAFE

texture.SAFE

texture.Transair

texture.Turas

Texture rename this to sharedtexture

make a new text file and copy paste these lines into it

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\sharedtexture

save and close the text file then rename it to texture.cfg that will give you a cfg file copy that cfg file into each of the above texture folders except the sharedtexture folder.

Start FSX and you should have props pilots and gear

The origional problem was

by Badgerman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:12 pm

Hello,

Yes - it's the spinning props only, in addition to the gear legs. And yes, please don't think I'm complaining... I know it's no it's my fault for stuffing it into FSX to see what happens... and when you're flying, you can't see the props/undercarriage anyway...!

Mark
Hello,

Yes - it's the spinning props only, in addition to the gear legs. And yes, please don't think I'm complaining... I know it's no it's my fault for stuffing it into FSX to see what happens... and when you're flying, you can't see the props/undercarriage anyway...!

Mark

this was no prop visible as to be expected since there was no texture for it so no prop visible with engines running, bring the prop texture into the picture and you have as far as I can see a perfectly acceptable prop.

Hopefully someone will try my way and let us know how they get on, unfortunatly San Miguel is taking charge of my fingers, will do some screenshots tommorrow of the Argosy props in all their glory.
Rich

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Rich,

Thanks for the tip - I've got missing gear legs on the Herald too - I figured if I could sort out the problem I was having with the Argosy, I'd be well on my way to figuring out what I had wrong there too... I'll try out the mods to the folder structure asap...

Love your sig btw... the fact I enjoyed Skippy's Wyvern in "Wings over (insert theatre)" version is what led me to check out FSX... hadn't enjoyed the MSFS stuff too much in years past, but all the "real" (read British) aircraft kept drawing me back... the Wyvern pushed me over the edge, and now I'm bugging people for help with Whistling Wheelbarrows... life is too good!

Again, thanks to all for your help,

Mark

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Mark
The Herald was indeed a missing texture, gear.bmp for which I made a bodge version that works ok, gear.bmp does not appear in any of the Herald paints so I made a bodge job which works, I will dig it out and see if I can find a way to pass it on.
Rich

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Bravo Zulu CBFS Forum!

When I first opened my Argosy folder, my heart sank - as there already was a "main" Texture folder, in addition to all the individual markings folders. Upon further investigation, the texture.cfg files weren't included in each individual file, so after whipping one off, and the ole cut and paste trick, Tadaa!!! Happiness all 'round...

There's two guys sitting in the cockpit looking oh so important, whirly blade like thingies sticking out of the wings (obviously there to keep the important looking gentlemen in the office cool while performing that "pilot stuff"), and best of all, I've got these lovely, long legs hanging out of the nacelles, just waiting for me to bash them into the next piece of (virtual) concrete I find, undoubtedly at a sink rate that would make an FAA driver blush...

I loved the Argosy before, and love it even more now. Thanks to all of you for your help - you've taught me some tricks that will last a very long time!

Rich - thanks for the file offer, I'll flip you a PM...

Mark

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Mark

See if you can find the Loadmaster having a crafty smoke

Leif