The Ponds "Skunk Works"

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: The Ponds "Skunk Works"

Post by DaveB »

Hi Leif :wave:

Targets can be towed without the towline looking too bad..

This sadly another unfinished project from a certain Mr P ;-) Btw.. the prop on the winch housing is spinning too :)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Cheers Dave

I think that Messrs P and P are about to spend sometime chatting -- which means the towed arrays may have wires yet -- Keith has been working on this project for over a year and is still tweaking like crazy.

Leif

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Not too sure about creating a tow wire that changes shape as it deploys - it certainly ain't out straight behind as with a Flag type drogue which has a lot of drag associated with it - it also changes with speed....... we also spent a lot of time & flight trials trying to find out why some tows would go around in circles behind the aircraft, sort of describing a cone with its centre axis angled down at about 30° - the heavier ones on 200 ft long cables causing the cable to hit the elevator. Our cable was only 3mm dia, so I think to show to scale would be difficult . Happy days.....

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Thanks for all the great background info above Keith. :welldone:

It would appear that I have been suffering from a misapprehension for all these years. :$ :worried:

It's nice to know how it was really done though.
Larry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

For anyone thats interested in Llanbedr and specifically the Jindivik program - Keith has sent me a monograph on Operation there . I will be posting it at The Pond later today (this evening your time ) when I get home from work

Leif

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

Great idea for a project! I think it's time for me to re-read this... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Target-Rolling- ... 1857801369

Kind regards

John
never give up, never surrender

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

John

Keiths Jindivik has been given to the Beta team over at the pond for Fs9 -- Keith is still working on the FSX version.

TK, Degsy can you PM me plse :)

Leif

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

While thinking of things Llanbedr, here's a few screenshots of my revised version in FS9 as the defult is very bland. I have the UKVFR scenery and terrain mesh. The enhancements are made with E-Z scenery with some re-alignement of runways & taxiways with AFCAD. The tower is in the wrong place and of the wrong type, but that's the default and I don't have the skills to change it. I also added a non-real taxiway to assist my AI flights based here.

On the Pan at the north end with AI Sea Vixen, Devon and Canberra

The hangars on the pan

Arial view looking north

Arial view of the pan

Runway 36/18 with the AI Sea Vixen and Devon taxiing for departure, the Sea Vixen for a circuit and the Devon bound for Welshpool

The Sea Vixen on take-off
Regards,

Degsy

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Looking very good Degsy :thumbsup:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Degsy, Now if one could marry your artwork with Just Flights British Airports...... I must say it brings back memories, but I have no Office!!!! BTW If you look at the satellite view of Llanbedr on Google maps you will see that there are unconventional markings on the main runway - 5 lateral stripes using Dulux vynil paint so that it did not destroy the friction qualities of the runway - which was special in that it had a very high friction over coat for the Jindi - it wore out tyres like mad. These stripes were added in the early 90's when Meteor WK800 was fitted out with forward looking TV cameras & a transmitter & we were experimenting with take offs & landings using the AGS, albeit not superimposed as in my model, although it would have been possible. The positioning of them was such that it allowed for the aircraft pitch attitude and camera angle so that it should touchdown at the 'normal' unmanned touchdown point that was nearly opposite each Pitch site (each pitch site was angled slightly which can be seen if you zoom in...). The Manned touchdown point was I think at the PAPI point.
If I remember correctly our Devon was raspberry ripple - we then had one of Farnborough/Boscombes noisy Pipers for a while - in raspberry ripple of course!
Has anyone done XX154 in raspberry ripple?
Regards
Keith