Cigarettes Getting More Expensive

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Cigarettes Getting More Expensive

Post by Garry Russell »

Should disuede folks from the habit :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8152278.stm

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Cigarettes Getting More Expensive

Post by nigelb »

I gave up that habit years ago when the price reached over $2 a pack. Call me cheap. :roll:

I am amazed but not really surprised he had to spend two hours on the phone with Bank of America to get the error corrected! That's why I don't bank there anymore.
Last edited by nigelb on 15 Jul 2009, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

How can that happen??? :dunno:

So kind of them to let him off the $15 overdraft charge :roll:

Garry
Garry

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

The better half and I were in a bar last week buying a round of drinks on a card and the charge went through as £300,000 rather than £30. Strangely enough the order went through just fine, however we then received a phone call thirty minutes later from the bank saying that they suspected that my card had been stolen. The bank were quick to sort it out once we explained what was happening and all was well. However I can understand how you can get from £30 to £300,000 (sticky keys coupled with slight inebriation resulting in a failure to check the receipt) but to get from $15 to $23 quadrillion is quite comical.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I does make you wonder how many times you may have been charged 30 instead of three and most people wouldn't notice.

Hopefully it works the other way too :lol:

He must have had a good credit limit for that to go through

Garry
Garry

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Someone at the register posted the explanation that if the charge field is transmitted as hex but with the blanks as spaces (ASCII 20) it looks like 202020202678687 which when converted back gives you a really expensive pack of smokes. Basically poor QA on the software rather than finger trouble, there've been something like 300 similar cases recently including possibly the world's largest restaurant bill of $24 Quadrillion!

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Garry Russell wrote:I does make you wonder how many times you may have been charged 30 instead of three and most people wouldn't notice.

Hopefully it works the other way too :lol:

He must have had a good credit limit for that to go through

Garry
Gary, I am afraid the first rule of banking dictates that it hardly ever works the other way around! If it does, the rule further stipulates that the correction applied will be the original correct amout trebled. A 'processing fee' may also be added at the bank's discretion and of course, interest charges will apply. ;-)

Nigel²

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:lol:

That figuers :-(

Garry
Garry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

nigelb wrote:I am amazed but not really surprised he had to spend two hours on the phone with Bank of America to get the error corrected! That's why I don't bank there anymore.
According to other reports, it took 2 hours for them to get back to him (not 2 hours holding on the phone) because they discovered that 30,000 other accounts had the same problem at the same time. They then responded to him electronically (aka "on line") that the problem had been resolved.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

OIC. My experience with BoA was that by the time you navigated through the "press button" menu and finally figured out how to talk to a human (always the very last selection available), you went into a "all our customer service representatives are busy" queu for twenty minutes (complete with obnoxious background music and plugs for other banking services), you reached someone who's native tongue was obviously not English who put you on hold, asked you to explain your problem again, then transfered you to someone who asked for blood samples, asked you to explain your problem yet again, then wanted to transfer you back to the original department and so on, ad infinitum, you spent the best part of two bloody hours to resolve the problem. And that is if you did not get cut-off at some point in the process!

Nigel²