Bloody cold calling

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Bloody cold calling

Post by Quixoticish »

Apologies for the rant but this really gets on my nerves anyway, but what happened today confounds belief. We normally receive four or five calls a day that are completely automatic trying to sell us insurance, loan protection, credit cards, anything and everything. The usual spiel is "press 9 if you wish to be removed from our calling list, and press 2 to speak to an operator". Six months ago I signed up to the TPS but we've still been receiving them so I decided to press 9 to have my number removed. The problem is the instant you do the line simply goes dead. So the next time they call I press 2 to speak to an operator.

"Hi there, Adrian speaking, how can I help you?"

"I'd like my number removed from whatever list you are using to call me please."

And wouldn't you know it, the cheeky BASTARD hung up on me. I mean seriously, they have the bloody cheek to call us at all hours of the day and night (we have to unplug the phones at night otherwise the calls keep us awake) with an automatic message, and when we ask to not be contacted again they get in a huff and refuse to respond.

BT are useless, they just say to contact the TPS, the TPS just say they can't stop everything, and the number is always withheld so there is nothing that can be done. I'm considering speaking to the police as it's verging on harassment, but in the interim there is now an air horn sat next to the phone and people are under strict instructions to listen to the automatic sales pitch, speak to an operator and then use it. Hopefully they'll get the idea.

Has anyone had any success dealing with these intolerably annoying calls?

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Bloody cold calling

Post by forthbridge »

Yeah Chris.. it's a NUISANCE. Normally they call when I am doing something else (often as I'm about to get into the shower etc). Even companies that have been told in no uncertain terms (Gas Co) that no we are not interested in blaah blaah KEEP calling back. Not long ago, I lifted the phone to hear some idiot in a call centre gassing to a colleague (using profanity).... they eventually hung up without even bothering to see if anyone was on the line.

Generally, I pick up, and immediately run the phone down the back of the settee to give a nice rasping sound. What they don't get (as with door callers) is that we will find our deals for ourselves. In fact, no cold calling will ever get a signature out of us!!!!!!!
Jim

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Chris, what a nightmare..... :roll:

TMS doesn't work for links to organisations that you have personal dealings with, so you may need to look into that then unsubscribe....insurance, double-glazing, etc., etc.,

Hope that helps.

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

DelP wrote:Hi Chris, what a nightmare..... :roll:

TMS doesn't work for links to organisations that you have personal dealings with, so you may need to look into that then unsubscribe....insurance, double-glazing, etc., etc.,

Hope that helps.

Derek
None of the calls we are getting are anything to do with anything we have purchased. We don't have loans but loan protection is a big one, and a good half of the calls are from companies who have clearly received our details from our beloved telephone company despite us asking them to not share our details with anyone. How do I know? They keep calling for my partner, and conveniently the phone company who shall remain nameless had her name spelled incorrectly on the bill, so when someone calls asking for the name from the telephone bill it's only too easy to figure out where they picked up our details.

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks

Chris -
TPS has a complaints service.
It worked for me.

HTH
ATB
Paul
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Sorry to pull slighty OFFTOPIC

But I can't resist linking this again

http://www.ktuk.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4579

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Priceless! Thanks Gary - had not heard that before. Sometimes, I get those calls even though I am on the US "Do Not Call" list. They usually ask for me, mispronouncing "Nigel" so I know it is not a person who knows me. I then say "just a minute, let me get him", lay the receiver down and go on doing what I was doing. After five or ten minutes, I hang up. I don't ever know how long they wait, but wasting even a few moments of their time gives me a sense of satisfaction. :lol: :lol: OK, I am warped! :roll:

Nigel²

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Yes, Tom Mabe is a great guy fighting the telemarketers.

I'm on the "NDNCL" and I still occasionally get calls, but my response was simple - I got their name, phone number, and company information then immediately file a report on the Do Not Call website and since I've made a half dozen or so reports, I get maybe 1 call every 3 or 4 months, and when I tell them I'm on the Do Not Call list and that they're being reported for violation, they apologize profusely and promise to remove me from the list. Since there's been hundreds (maybe even a thousand by now) telemarketing companies that have been shutdown from violating the list, they usually take anyone telling them they're getting reported very seriously unless they don't want to have a job anymore. :)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Nice one Garry, heard it before but it still makes me laugh. :lol: :lol:

Nigel2 has got the right idea in making them hang on so it costs them more than it does you in inconvenience as I suspect that they are on commision for any leads supplied.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

thank you no , bye

works . :)