Visit to see VC10s?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Simon Baskerville
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Visit to see VC10s?

Post by Simon Baskerville »

Hi everyone,

I used to be a member on here many years ago now... Used to repaint 1-11s for Davids superb models, don’t suppose many people will remember me, if any! But if anyone does, I'd like to say a big hello to you!

I have fond memories of this place, and used to come on here very often to ask for advice and help on various liveries I would work on, and it always had a nice atmosphere. But sadly Sixth form and Uni life got the better of me, and I seemed to spend less and less time on FS, until one day I just stopped using it.

I have always loved Classic British aircraft, with the One-Eleven and VC10 being my favourite, I have always said I would pay a visit to see the 10s whilst I still have the chance. So, that’s my main reason for paying another visit to CBFSF, to seek some advice on doing so.

Obviously a trip to Brize is in order, but seeing as its around 120mile from where I live, I would like to be sure of seeing one in the flesh if I’m gonna make the journey! So, could anyone give me some advice on when would be the best time to go down, maybe to see one fly? And whats it like down there, do the RAF object to people watching and taking photographs of the aircraft? Also, is there somewhere to park and places to actually watch them land/depart?

I know the best option would be to go and see them at an airshow or something, but im usually at work over the weekends, and I would really like to get the option to see them in action!

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice you guys can offer,

Simon

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Visit to see VC10s?

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Simon :wave:

I remember you and I doubt the long terms members would have forgotten :worried:

Didn't know you'd cancelled you membership. I have you BCAL Obe-Eleven paint, one of the first I downloaded. :)

Anyway welcome back an dperhaps in time you'll be able to srick around a bit :thumbsup:

ATB

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

What Garry said...:)

Welcome back Simon

Leif

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Indeed.. nice to see you back Simon and yes.. I still have your red tail EAL paint on my system :lol:

Brize is a bit of an odd one mate. I've only been on Wed (before midday to around 2:30) and sometimes you get a lot of activity, others there's very little.. not even from 216Sqn :o Was there very early one day to see Tonks landing back from across the pond and unknown to me.. there'd been a medevac case and he was already on the deck :roll: :brick: :lol:
You'll most certainly get to see at least one VC10.. stationary or otherwise and they mostly live on the western end of the airfield :)

EDIT:
BTW Simon.. you were already a member here, joined Sep 13 2004 - Last Active Jan 27 2006 ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

Hi Simon.

There's a good guide on Thunder and Lightnings here. Although I suppose what you'll see on the day is down to chance.

James

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Simon, try this...http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... orton.html

EDIT - above post beat me to it!

There is a SMALL area to park just south the 26 threshold near a gate but NOT the crash gate - it's the one just to the left of that. They come in about 80 feet above the road here - it's arguably the best place to see side-on views, or, if you're brave, right over your head! As we often get south-westerly winds, they're usually on this runway. (Best to check the wind direction though, before you head out!) The sun also shines on them from this side.

There can be hours and hours of....sod all occuring, but tanking missions are flown every day, so even if nothing has happened all day, expect a VC10 to come back around 16.00-17.00ish. It may shoot some circuits, it may not.

The police seem fine about folk parking here, except the odd occasion when XH558 causes overspill of cars onto the road!! So you may want to choose to go when that is due to fly (in which case it might be a good idea to park in Brize village and a walk of about 10 minutes) or you may want to avoid it!

Hope there is a lot of action when you go! ;-)