No Riff Raff

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

No Riff Raff

Post by nigelb »

Just finished watching the 39th repeat of Fawlty Towers on one our local Public Broadcasting stations. No matter how many times I have seen it, I still laugh like mad....almost to tears.

Tonight they aired the Gourmet Night episode with one of my favourite scenes of all time. The car stalls, Basil tries to start it in vain, threatens the car, counts to three and without trying the ignition again he leaps out and scolds the car, dashes across the road out of view, runs back and begins to beat the car with a small tree branch. Priceless! In case there could be a soul on the planet that has never seen this, here is an interview with John Cleese that includes the scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3mfaWCnWw

Where would PBS be without the old BBC comedy series? The more chronologically challenged may remember these- all now airing on Saturday night here. A little bit of British culture for the Colonists!

As Time Goes By
Keeping Up Appearances
Last of the Summer Wine (Ayup - those bloody Yorkshire accents !)
Are you Being Served?
Waiting For God
To The Manor Born
Fawlty Towers
The Vicar of Dibley

Nigel²

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: No Riff Raff

Post by Garry Russell »

Quality Stuff :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

BAe146
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BAe146 »

PBS has been playing those for many years. That's where I discovered the "Red Dwarf" series.
"Mankind has a perfect record in Aviation, We've never left anyone up there."

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Yes, I know PBS has aired these for years - that is why I mentioned the 39th repeat :lol: That said, I think this could be the first time we have had 4 straight hours of them one one PBS station (WMPT) here - another PBS station (WETA) airs As Time Goes By and Keeping Up Appearences, but different episodes, so only an hour on that station. Apparently these shows were purchased from the BBC by each station and not the PBS network.

As you mention, there have been many British shows here. At one time Coupling was aired, which was rather risque for American telly. Then NBC came up with its own version, which was a disaster and the British version disappeared from PBS. Now all the new shows (new to the US) air on BBC America. So we got The Office (Far superior to the NBC version) the entire four seasons of Coupling, Dr Who and just last week the five part series of Torchwood: Children of Earth, which was a very dark, chillng show.

Nigel²

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

nigelb wrote:Tonight they aired the Gourmet Night episode with one of my favourite scenes of all time. The car stalls, Basil tries to start it in vain, threatens the car, counts to three and without trying the ignition again he leaps out and scolds the car, dashes across the road out of view, runs back and begins to beat the car with a small tree branch. Priceless! In case there could be a soul on the planet that has never seen this, here is an interview with John Cleese that includes the scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3mfaWCnWw
I've always thought John Cleese was at his best when he was in a blind fit of rage. :lol:

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Darn... I thought you were talking about this -

(BTW, it *IS* British. :))

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Thats a gorgeous piece of work.... Going to try and make Reno this year Chris?

Leif OFFTOPIC

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

nigelb wrote:Where would PBS be without the old BBC comedy series?
I think ours would probably be off the air. :lol: Here's what's currently showing on our PBS station.

As Time Goes By
Keeping Up Appearances
Are You Being Served?
Father Ted
Open All Hours (one of my fa-fa-fa-fa-favorites)
Fawlty Towers
Last of the Summer Wine (great show)
Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

I'd love to see them bring back episodes of Goodnight Sweetheart. The station rotates different shows in and out of their schedule so I'm sure it'll come round eventually.

Brian

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

DispatchDragon wrote:Thats a gorgeous piece of work.... Going to try and make Reno this year Chris?

Leif OFFTOPIC
Right now it doesn't look like it, but that could change depending on schedules.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Nigel B

.. you sure it wasn't the forty'ithh , because I culd swear...
:lol:

Were would PBS be without BBC? same channel , just not worth watching as much I suppose. :dunno:

:D