Gmax Guru required!!!!!!

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Re: Gmax Guru required!!!!!!

Post by Trev Clark »

Sounds good to me, the more the merrier....or is that too many cooks :lol: :lol: I can do a bit in FSDS, but have never looked at Gmax. From what I can see, she flies pretty well, but is a 'simple' model, possibly too simple from the VC for realism. The airframe seems fine, externally and is enhanced by a good re-paint.
ATB Trev

trainfan5
Viscount
Viscount

Post by trainfan5 »

I'll focus on external modifications first before doing any on the VC. But as I say, I will be looking at the sources tomorrow afternoon after which I can give a detailed accessment of what I can do for you guys :)

Be aware, It will be going out as a UKFS release (with CBFSim fully credited for the idea and all the help that you guys hopefully will be able to provide for this) with hopefully at least one of these RM or Army paints that appears to have been created included as it would be a shame to do multiple paints of the same thing for effectively the same model. But don't worry, I'll be letting the beta loose on here first and you guys will be the first to know when its been released :)

One thing I'd like you guys to clear up for me, how are the tanks wrong? I can't see anything wrong with the things from screenshots and pictures of the real thing on airliners.net :worried:

Re the aerials, they all appear to be on the tail including the ones which appear on the nose of the gazelle. I'll be doing it like this but some shots of under the cockpit of the one at Newark (the boxy thingy and the light)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Arm ... dfe64b1f59

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Arm ... dfe64b1f59

Jon
Last edited by trainfan5 on 08 Aug 2009, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
UKFlightsim: 'Quality, not Quantity' http://ukflightsim.freeforums.org

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

First of all... what base model are we dealing with here? I think we need to establish what Mikrco has produced and decide how we proceed from there.

Whichever it is, the 47G-3B-1 (AH1) has engine differences. For starters, compare and contrast Mikrco's model to this starboard side view:

There are also several things that need to be fixed in the cockpit, including making 3 seats rather than one bench seat and the cyclic and especially collective require attention.

I tend to use Photomodeler and have enough material to do extra bits and import into GMAX or 3DSMax with textures already mapped.

It sounds to me like there could be 3-ish of us working in the team?

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

One other thing... I suspect v3 might be on its way soon (given the speed with which v2 came along). Perhaps its best to wait for that to be released, as several things will have been fixed.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

trainfan5
Viscount
Viscount

Post by trainfan5 »

Airtrooper wrote:First of all... what base model are we dealing with here? I think we need to establish what Mikrco has produced and decide how we proceed from there.

Whichever it is, the 47G-3B-1 (AH1) has engine differences. For starters, compare and contrast Mikrco's model to this starboard side view:

There are also several things that need to be fixed in the cockpit, including making 3 seats rather than one bench seat and the cyclic and especially collective require attention.

I tend to use Photomodeler and have enough material to do extra bits and import into GMAX or 3DSMax with textures already mapped.

It sounds to me like there could be 3-ish of us working in the team?
I'll get back to you once I've looked at the source as I can't say for definate what's going to be done till then but your help will be happy recieved as to be honest, I hadn't even seen a Sioux before this project let alone modelled one so any help will be great :)

I'll be basing it on V2 (if that's the one with teh source code). I've read the related Simouthouse thread and it doesn't appear that a V3 is on its way but I was only giving it a quick read though.

Jon

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

At Simouthouse there is mention of a v3!

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

trainfan5
Viscount
Viscount

Post by trainfan5 »

Airtrooper wrote:At Simouthouse there is mention of a v3!
I said I'd only had a quick look. I'm having a detailed one now and then I'll think about how to go about it.

EDIT: It only says 'if I do a V3' which doesn't mean it'll happen.

By the way, I have found some very nice shots of the beast over on UKAR. Which include very good shots of the cockpit only (I love modellers when they show cockpit shots).

See Here: http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13845

Jon
Last edited by trainfan5 on 08 Aug 2009, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Obviously I'd only had a quick look too, my apologies.

Nice pics BTW.

Andy

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

trainfan5
Viscount
Viscount

Post by trainfan5 »

Ok, I've been thinking this over and from what I've seen, here's what needs doing based on photos and what people are telling me on here. Question marks mean I'm not to sure on it.

Boxs either side of the tail to the rear of the cockpit
T Aerials on the tail about mid way down
Light inbetween the T aerials
Box on the underside of the cockpit in line with the light
Modifiying the seats
New Panel
Adding a Helmet to the pilot and giving him a new paint scheme (Military Flying suit)? (EDIT: Just seen shots of the mil model its self so this may not be needed)
Engine?
Tanks to be reshaped?
The Nessissary (Spelling) VC mods

I'll look at the engine when I get back home tomorrow and then I may get Airtrooper working on making a replacement as he appears to have some very good shots of the real thing if that's ok with him.

Otherwise, not a lot to do thinking about it........ :D

Anything I've missed gents or anything people unhappy about?

Jon

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Would'nt the instrument and general systems fit be totally different? :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."