Gmax Guru required!!!!!!

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

trainfan5
Viscount
Viscount

Re: Gmax Guru required!!!!!!

Post by trainfan5 »

Garry Russell wrote:Would'nt the instrument and general systems fit be totally different? :think:

Garry
I covered that under 'panel' and 'Nessiary (Spelling) VC Mods'. Should have made it clearer :-(

Sorry

Jon
UKFlightsim: 'Quality, not Quantity' http://ukflightsim.freeforums.org

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I was think it could be quite a big job to be accurate rather than "not a lot to do"

That's what made me query it..............many hours of research for example :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Garry Russell wrote:I was think it could be quite a big job to be accurate rather than "not a lot to do"

That's what made me query it..............many hours of research for example :think:
I've a similar mindset. Thats what makes me ponder whether a clean sheet is better. :think: I also tend toward a reverse engineering approach (i.e. photogrammetry), rather than secondary evidence from printed material, but I suspect I'm in the minority. :dunno:

The difference between the various Bell 47 models and the difficulty in adapting models for each of them was also discussed when the Alphasim FSX model was under development, before it and the forum were chopped. Its a shame we lost that debate, as it'd be handy now.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Hmm, my thoughts were that it would be better to have a slightly modified (via the free source code) version of this model (as it is free and up for modification) than just a simple re-paint of the basic US 1950's model that was released. If we want to go for 'full accuracy and detail', we may indeed have to start from a clean sheet! :'( :'(

Not sure many folk here will be up for that, the only helo made here was still born, the great Sycamore (and that was not a 'built under licence US type' like this is), by Rick P. Perhaps we can see what the Gaffer at UK mil thinks, it could always be a joint product, rather than be put out under the CBFS banner, if it is not 100% accurate.
ATB Trev

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There were a few sucessful Brit Helipcopters, Belevedere, Sycamore, Skeeter, Wasp, Scout...too early to think :lol:

The big stillborn Westland one was the Westmintser :-(

Garry
Garry

trainfan5
Viscount
Viscount

Post by trainfan5 »

calypsos wrote:Hmm, my thoughts were that it would be better to have a slightly modified (via the free source code) version of this model (as it is free and up for modification) than just a simple re-paint of the basic US 1950's model that was released. If we want to go for 'full accuracy and detail', we may indeed have to start from a clean sheet! :'( :'(

Not sure many folk here will be up for that, the only helo made here was still born, the great Sycamore (and that was not a 'built under licence US type' like this is), by Rick P. Perhaps we can see what the Gaffer at UK mil thinks, it could always be a joint product, rather than be put out under the CBFS banner, if it is not 100% accurate.
To be honest, it isn't my style at all to reverse engineer something but Calypsos's original idea appealed to me. I was going to do a number of mods to turn it into a rough Sioux rather than a 100% accurate one (which to be honest would take ages enough if DC was to agree to a joint UKMIL/UKFS project) is more what I had in mind which is based on the original request which is why I said yes to doing it. I'll wait for DC's response before making any further decisions re this.

Jon

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Jon

I think you misunderstood Calypsos original idea which was as a CBFS project and that means well researched and as near 100 percent accurate as possible...

You can't be thinking a quick job as an answer to that :dunno:

That's why I queried it :lol: .............we don't do part jobs here :)

Garry
Garry

trainfan5
Viscount
Viscount

Post by trainfan5 »

Garry Russell wrote:Hi Jon

I think you misunderstood Calypsos original idea which was as a CBFS project and that means well researched and as near 100 percent accurate as possible...

You can't be thinking a quick job as an answer to that :dunno:

That's why I queried it :lol: .............we don't do part jobs here :)

Garry
Be aware everything written before this is post was before I'd looked at the source file which has now happened and This is what needs to be done: All my above list (bar the tanks and pilot) plus a completely new engine area or a complete re-pipe of the whole thing plus adding loads. Loads also needs to be done in the cockpit (e.g adding a second set of controls). In my view, its no way close to being a quick job (which I didn't think it was to begin with anyway). This will take some time to do.

Jon

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi folks, sorry to butt in..

Spent this afternoon at the heli museum, W-S-M..........I've looked through the posts and, unless I've missed it, no-one has mentioned that the canopy on the Westland Sioux is a different shape to that of the original Augusta-Bell...just my tuppence worth.

Got some pics if anyone wants them ;-)

ATB,

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

trainfan5
Viscount
Viscount

Post by trainfan5 »

DelP wrote:Hi folks, sorry to butt in..

Spent this afternoon at the heli museum, W-S-M..........I've looked through the posts and, unless I've missed it, no-one has mentioned that the canopy on the Westland Sioux is a different shape to that of the original Augusta-Bell...just my tuppence worth.

Got some pics if anyone wants them ;-)

ATB,

Derek
Pics would be nice :)

I'll think about the canopy as it looks similar which is most likely why no one's picked it up. Only difference I've picked up is that the Sioux has doors.

Jon