FS9 Scenery Error!!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: FS9 Scenery Error!!

Post by TSR2 »

buff wrote:Ben im using vista but am still on FS9...

I'ver done a system restore and re-installed FS9 and i am still getting the error message..???? Its got to have hidden another CFG file somewhere???

This is SO annoying!!! :rant:

Mate, I'm pretty sure this is were VISTA puts the cfg rather that FS9. The OS controls where many of these things go. Doing a system restore is totally useless for something like this as they aren't system files (unless you have specifically configured them as such)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

buff
Viscount
Viscount

Post by buff »

Right guys im gonna give it another shot and ill let you know how it goes. *-)

Cheers
BOEING..........Turning lemons into lemonade since 1916

buff
Viscount
Viscount

Post by buff »

It seems to be fixed after another complete re-install of FS9!!

It appeared to be the scenery cfg that was in the mins fs9 directory that was causing the problem because it kept completely re-building the scenery from scratch every tim fs9 was launched so i erased it and used one from my old hard drive and this seems to have fixed it!

That was a bugger, Thanks for all the replies people!!!

Cheers

Gav

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Looks like the scenery.cfg might have been corrupt. Using the file from your old hard drive may result in some of your newer scenery additions not being present - you may want to check that.

For future reference, the firts thing I would have tried is renaming the scenery.cfg file to scenery_old.txt. Open in notepad and look through the text for any obvious garbage characters and correct them. Next use Save As... Scenery.cfg. Worth a shot.

Another tip - before you add new scenery make a zip archive of the scenery.cfg file so you can always go back if things get munged. Keep the file in the same directory as scenery.cfg so it is easy to find. When you are sure that the new scenery is working ok, you can zip the new version of scenery.cfg as a backup.

There is also a "SceneryStatus.DAT" file in the main FS9 directory. I am not sure what this file does, but I am guessing it alerts FS to new scenery additions once added to scenery.cfg so that on restart FS rebuilds the scenery index and database. Next time FS constantly want to rebuld those indeses, it might be worth a try to rename that file "SceneryStatus_old.txt and then restart FS - not sure what it will do but it might stop the rebuilds.

Nigel²

buff
Viscount
Viscount

Post by buff »

Nigel,

I'll bear that in mind thankyou.

CHeers

Gav

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

All you needed to do was note carefully that address in the error message "C:\Program Files\Scotflight..............." then you should have opened your Scenery.cfg file in Notepad and clicked EDIT > Find and typed that address into the "Find what?" slot. This would have located that address in one or more of the clauses in Scenery.cfg and all that was required was to delete those clauses...The deleting is best done in Scenery Library but you can just do it in Notepad. Sorry for my late reply :worried:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Furthermore, the scotflight stuff (and the UK2000 stuff too) give you the option to make a backup of your scenery.cfg when you install them. So all you would have had to do was rename the backup file back to scenery.cfg and you'd have been sorted. :cpu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

This reminds me very much of a brief moment many years ago. I managed to get a puncture in the rear tyre/tube of my GT185. I spent a long painful time getting the tyre off and then on using Halfords tyre levers and when I'd got it all together again.. blood dripping of grazed knuckles, my dad piped up.. 'you should have put a bit of washing up liquid on the rim of the tyre.. it'd have gone on much easier'! :lol:

Wise words posted above this though.. particularly the Scotflight backup folder ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!