Pitcairn Autogyro

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Pitcairn Autogyro

Post by WarHorse47 »

If you're looking for something different, you might be interested in the Pitcarin Autogyro by Golden Age Simulations. :)

My FS interest has been primarily military, but I was intrigued by this aircraft for its history. It was used by the US Marines for a rescue in Nicaragua in 1932 and flown by Amelia Earhart for a record breaking alititude. I had also previously purchased several other aircraft from Golden Age Simulations and was impressed by their quality.

Cockpit details is as expected and everything in the VC is clickable. Flight dynamics are also easy - even the autogyro dynamics. When you shut down the engine, the gyro still floats to the ground due to the rotating blades.

Sounds are great. I'm not sure how they did it, but there's a definite distinction between the main engine and the overhead rotors.

The only drawback of the package is the 2D cockpit. The same bitmap is shared with all the models, so the fuselage color is the same. Since I fly from the VC anyways, I may remove it for my tastes.

The basic package retails for around $20 USD and contains both the FS9 and FSX installs. These shots are from the FS9 install. The package contains 3 models - the original autogyro, a crop duster version and a military version.

If you've flown both straight wings and helos, this falls inbetween. You need to continue forward thrust for flight, so more akin to an STOL than a helo. I tried to hover several times, but just couldn't get it. :doh:

Still, a lot of fun. :agree:

--WH

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Pitcairn Autogyro

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Are these the people that do the Stearman?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I think they are DTR2 :) I have the Pitcairn but couldn't get worked up about the Stearman.. nice as it is *-)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

DogTailRed2 wrote:Are these the people that do the Stearman?
Yes. The Autogyro was released in Sept. 2007 followed by their two Waco packages and recently the Stearman. Quality is better than some of their freeware and earlier products. I have an older machine and video card, and it flies without any problem.

http://www.goldenagesimulations.com/

--WH

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I tried to hover several times, but just couldn't get it
Err... I thought Autogyros couldn't hover, otherwise you wouldn't need helicopters....

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Yes indeed.. proceed at a snails pace possible under the right conditions but hover.. err, no. I suppose you could always crank the wind up :D

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!