Boeing being sued over 7L87??

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Boeing being sued over 7L87??

Post by Garry Russell »

Seems investors are getting impatient over the Seven Late Seven :worried:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=36173

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Boeing being sued over 7L87??

Post by FlyTexas »

Seems it's all about a "structural flaw where the wing meets the body of the aircraft." I've got some duct tape in my truck if they'd like to borrow some. ;)

Brian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

That was the delay this May.....but there have been others

It seemed to be OK within normal service lits but failed just under the designed max loading or something like that. *-)

I have little sympathy due to the hard time they gave Airbus over the 380.

Still look at them brightside, you can still visit major airports without your eyesight being assaulted by what must be the ugliest Boeing airliner since the hideous Stratocruiser :lol:

To be fair to Boeing, they are trying to make big leaps, some would say a step too far but that what advancement is all about.

Their big mistake was to make promises on timescale they had no idea whether or not they could meet and then playing it down. Not sure about production but unless that has completly stopped they must have a lot of built/part built aeroplane around.

Garry
Garry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The delay to fix the wing join is only affecting the first couple of prototypes. The other aircraft on the line were not far enough along to be delayed by introduction of the fix.

If anyone wants to file lawsuit, they should sue Alenia, who built the part that is flawed and continues to have quality control problems. As it is, the originators of the lawsuits should tell the whole story. The first is a UNION, the second is a law firm representing no one in particular. This is called "ambulance chasing" in the US. Basically, they look for a problem (any problem) and file lawsuit over it regarless of merit in an attempt to create bad press and force a settlement. The Union who filed most likely made a bad decision in their handling of funds and lost money and is now looking to recover them (just like many union retirement funds have done).

Also, it's interesting to characterize these parties "investors" since they're neither large stakeholders nor is the second a direct shareholder.

I chalk it up to media hype again. They make a big ado about nothing in the name of ratings and meeting their end - making all companies that don't subscribe to their brand of liberalism look "evil".

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Story in the paper today says the 7L87 is due now to make it's first flight on the 22nd December :)
Garry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Chris Trott wrote:If anyone wants to file lawsuit, they should sue Alenia, who built the part that is flawed and continues to have quality control problems.
Surely Alenia are merely Contractors, and Boeing hold the design rights? I have read that the original design was flawed, due to incorrect computer predictions.
Whatever, I don't think I'll be boarding one.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Boeing did the design of the aircraft, however from what I understand, the detailed design of certain components is left to the contractor(s). Alenia in this case made changes to the design of the area and submitted test data to Boeing which they accepted. Further testing by Boeing identified that the data submitted was incorrect and that there were issues which needed correction.

I can't find the thread, but on WiX there was an in-depth discussion of what the issue was and how it came about, but basically, Boeing's biggest issue and the source of the delays has been not just Alenia, but several of their contractors being totally unable to maintain the required quality control.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It's now being said Tuesday 15th at 10:00 for the first flight. *-)

Might try and see it live if linked as it is an historic ocassion......even it it is butt ugly :-O
Garry

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I quite like the look of her mate.... but i don't fancy flying in a plastic airplane.... I know how badly i glued my airfix kits :xgrin:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It the nose I find so ugly.....don't like blunt noses :xgrin:

Still, main thing is that it works and the project can move on :)
Garry