How to fly helicopters?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Re: How to fly helicopters?

Post by Tweek »

I don't know how I managed to learn how to fly them... I think I must have just hopped into the FS98 B206 and messed around until I'd got the hang of it! Depending on which helo you're flying, I think it's quite easy to keep them under control so long as you're gentle enough with them. The tricky stuff comes when you start putting together some kind of display routine, which I somehow managed to do with a Chinook in FS9! I don't think I had a 100% success rate with that one, though... :shhh:

steelsporran
VC10
VC10

Post by steelsporran »

I cheat and use Rob Barendregt's hover control rcbhhc22.zip
steelsporran

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Also....

I just about learnt to fly helicopters using only a standard Saitek Evo joystick, using the twist for anti-torque. However, life got a lot easier when I invested in a good stick & throttle combo (X52 Pro in my case) and pedals (Saitek again)... plus head-tracking kit (TrackIR in my case)...

I can't recommend these enough! :thumbsup:
Last edited by spatialpro on 07 Dec 2009, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I think the best controller for flying helicopters, other than a dedicated helicopter rig which cost more than the pc, is a FF stick with the power off.. that or a standard stick with the springs removed/slackened off to floppy. Most if not all sticks want to return to centre after any control input and while this is appropriate for fixed wing aircraft, it's not for helicopters. Wish my old M$ Sidewinder FF Mk1 still worked but these hit problems with WinME onwards. The Srs2 should still work but not having one, I couldn't confirm it :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

If I'd known how much I'd get into FS helicopters I might have invested in this mid-range kit early on:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0109/ProFltT ... ntrols.htm

I'd also like to give this kit a go. As of now I've never gone to an FS event where I've been able to try it before I buy it (there wasn't even one at Weston-Super-Nightmare earlier this year).

I also kinda wish there were more [competing] options for FS helicopter controllers in the low/mid-range.

As it is I don't have the cash to justify this AND all my Saitek kit... let alone the other massively expensive heli controllers. :(

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Wildbillkelso
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Wildbillkelso »

Airtrooper wrote:... However, life got a lot easier when I invested in a good stick & throttle combo (X52 Pro in my case) ...
Second this!
Although I just have the "Non-pro" X52 without pedals, the seperate throttle unit (collective in this case) allows these fine-tuned power inputs a rotary wing deserves. The twist control seems sensitive enough for me, although I can imagine that pedals would be much better for it...

Btw:
Rick's awesome Bristol Sycamore also seems a good helo to start with. It's "underpowered" enough for smooth collective control. I observed a slight tendency to 'creep' backwards on take-off once the collective is opened, but applying brakes and cycling foreward prevents from this "pushback". :xgrin:

Cheers,
Markus.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Markus

The Sycamore is correct with the backwards creep.

you need to push the stick forward and take the weight off the main gear to takeoff vertically.
as the rotor disc is tilted back beyond true horizontal compared to the aircraft's static C.O.G.

that is correct as per the pilots notes that James let me have :thumbsup:

it's also got the right power to climb at it's maximum of 1800 fpm as per the Flight manual and specs.

Probably too easy to fly as i have it set to allow it to be flown with a normal short Joystick.
to fly accurate flight models for Helicopters in FS you need a 3 ft long joystick to get the control movement fine enough
But only seen a couple of simmers with a proper heli setup so i modelled it to be roughly right on a short PC stick.

I also spent a lot of time trying to cure the std fault that all FS helicopters have of being unstable in reverse which most real helicopters are not (at least not at low speeds)

but for some reason this system only works if the flightmodel uses a piston engine! no idea why *-)

if i do any turbine helicpters i will use a piston fde and fake the gauges and sounds or it just doesn't fly like a helicopter should (My opinion) I do have some real stick time too ;)

Regards
Rick

Wildbillkelso
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Wildbillkelso »

Hi, Rick!
Rick Piper wrote:The Sycamore is correct with the backwards creep...
it's also got the right power to climb at it's maximum of 1800 fpm as per the Flight manual and specs.
I sincerely hope you didn't get me wrong!
I didn't doubt a single second that this is the accurate Sycamore's behaviour - that's why I set the "underpowered" in quotation marks!

My notes were aimed at the "overpowered" helos like the stock Jetranger or the Blackhawk (which I presume to have overwhelming power in reality...), because they are far more difficult to handle.

Cheers,
Markus.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Markus

No mate didn't get you wrong ;)

just a tip on how to takeoff correctly and note about sycamore power was coincidental as i find most helis massively overpowered in FS :xgrin:

I wasn't saying the sycamore is spot on either as i don't think FS9 or FSX will ever fly anything 100% accurate.

i built the flight model to be easyish to fly as anything hard will never get flown more than once or twice then binned (thats what i do!) :lol:

Regards
Rick

Wildbillkelso
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Wildbillkelso »

Rick Piper wrote:...as anything hard will never get flown more than once or twice then binned (thats what i do!) :lol:
Sad but true!
That's why the outstanding Hovercontrol's Bell 412 collects dust in my hangar - never managed to get him down within the "H" marking on the ramp... :worried: