Play.com and Royal Mail (RANT)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Re: Play.com and Royal Mail (RANT)

Post by Sl4yer »

Never had any trouble with Play (well, apart from broken CD cases which I can't be bothered to complain about). But I frequently have difficulty tracking Royal Mail Special / Recorded items. I find they often show no information.

For poor Customer Service, Creative get my vote. It cost me £6 to send a Zen Micro, which had been defective since delivery, back to Ireland for replacement a few years ago. So I'll never buy from them again, or even use one of their soundcards. Actually, I wouldn't have used the soundcards anyway due to their legendary crappy driver support...

James

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Dave you should get the full costs back... Check out the distance selling regulations...

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

An update..

I received an email last night from Play saying that finally, a replacement would be sent and that my postage would be refunded. However, I'd already phoned them last Friday to say I didn't want a replacement now as it probably wouldn't get here in time for Christmas using their preferred mode of dispatch.. the Royal Mail so.. refund the money in full. OK they said! According to Track and Trace at Royal Mail.. the package is still being 'progressed through the system for delivery' 8) I think I might offer this to Victoria Wood to make a sitcom out of :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Victoria Wood. Did you see her last evening on TV. Absolutely hilarious! The "Two soups" sketch, which I've seen several times before .... well, I nearly pi55ed myself laughing.

:rofl: :xgrin:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes indeed Dennis :xgrin:

Oh.. the phone I ordered off Amazon has arrived (tks UPS) so lets see what the next few days bring *-)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

DaveB wrote: :xgrin: lets see what the next few days bring *-) ATB DaveB B)smk
Sun up and then sun down , sun up and then sundown followed by sun up an... . well ou get the picture.
BTW - stuff will happen in the middle between sun up and sun down
some things will make you happy and some things won't
(it's like the weather 50/50 )
Disclaimer : I can't guarantee you'll accually see the sun, I can't here at 9:30am and I live in the sunshine State !! :|

Prop Jockey
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Prop Jockey »

Sorry to hear of your hassles Dave - reminds me of some inconvenience I had this time last year......................

I pay for a magazine subscription for my Mum - its one of her Xmas presents. Last year was the first renewal and the magazine helpfully sent me a reminder, including a postage-paid branded envelope in which I could return my card details to pay for the next 12 months. So I save myself the cost of a phone call to renew and send my card details back in the post.

Next thing I know the bank are on the phone . . . . . . . . .'We've noticed some unusual spending on your debit card, have you recently purchased X, Y, Z ?'.

I hadn't, someone had got hold of my card details and been on a spending spree. Luckily the bank were fine and didn't honour any of the payments. But of course we had to cancel my card etc.

So I'm thinking where on earth did the card details go missing ? Must be the internet right ? I'm careful with my card but you hear of sites being hacked and details being stolen etc. After a week or so I remember the Magazine subscription . . . . . . . I wonder . . . . . . . *-) So having given them a call, they confirm they know nothing about my renewal.

So in my mind that left 2 possibilities, either the renewal reached the magazine and someone was on the fiddle there, or it never reached the Magazine after being placed in the care of Royal Mail :)

Draw your on conclusions on that one, but you may want to avoid using branded envelopes with your card details, just in case :xgrin:

For those in the UK - Anyone remember when the post was delivered in the morning too ? - don't get too nostalgic thinking about that one :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas :xgrin:

Rich

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Yes.. deliveries! I have a quaint VR postbox built into the front of my pub and when we came here 9+ years ago, that little box had 4 collections per day. It now proudly proclaims 1! 8)

Sri to hear of your woes with the card. Reminds me of a similar incident sufferred by my brother in law some years ago. He had an old Jag at the time and the cost of new spares being prohibitive, he usually found 'good used' spares from the Jaguar owners club mag. On this occassion, he found a part he needed from a 'reputable' dealer in London and paid for it passing his card details over the phone. A month.. 6weeks later, he checked his account and found close to 2K had gone missing, the majority of which being charged to a posh hotel in the capitol :-O He phoned the hotel to ask what was going on and was informed that 2 gentlemen had turned up carrying a letter (from him) authorising the use of his number for their stay 8) To cut a long story short.. they fell over themselves backwards when he informed them that he was a Police Inspector and the matter would be passed to the relevant authorities :lol: One of the 2 herberts who'd had a great weekend at his expense worked for the Jag spares shop and had used the details he passed for the purchase of the spare part. As you'd imagine, he wasn't the cleverest of thieves :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

I can't remember two deliveries of the post when I lived in the UK (so I must not be that old :lol: - wishful thinking on my part) but I do remember an extra delivery, on Wednesday of the Pools coupons - Littlewoods, Vernons and so on. Are they still around or has The National Lottery supplanted them?

Oh, for the record, I really was too young to do the pools then but did do them from the US later. Strictly illegal here so all amount of subtrafuge was emplyoyed. I was instructed to mail the coupons to a rotating variety of UK addresses or mail drops, making up th names of the addressee so that it looked like I was writing to friends back home. Incoming coupons were mailed from various locations, including the Continent when you lot had a postal strike! Incoming letters were disguised with handwritten envelopes and innocuous return addresses.

I think I may have won around ­­£20 once on the summer pools, :excited: but the bigger thrill was fooling the US customes.

Nigel²