BEA Vanguard registration font

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Davem2004
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

BEA Vanguard registration font

Post by Davem2004 »

You know, I don't usually take much notice of these things - but I'm curious. It seems that most of the time, registration fonts are usually akin to - or variations of - the 'Arial' font; but it's clear that the font used for the BEA Vanguards seems to be something a little different. Without giving away any trade secrets or anything - is there a special font for these registrations?

I wouldn't normally ask, but after the third glass of Cabernet, I find I'm sufficiently intrigued to ask...'HIC!'

Cheers! :cheers:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: BEA Vanguard registration font

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Dave

The BEA Vangurd reg "font" is pretty much standard for the day and is not a font in the normal sense but a style painted on by signwriters. :)

I've never seen a registration font used in that period that is in anyway akin to Arial, but I will say many FS repaints are released with the wrong registration style.

The font I used on that and pretty well all the airlines of the period is a modified version of Eurostyle Bold. Later liveries like British Airways often used '"normal" fonts.

One of my bugbears with third party decals for model kits is the wrong style registration as because it is not a true font the manufacturer has not bothered to make it up properly. :rant:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Davem2004
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: BEA Vanguard registration font

Post by Davem2004 »

Thanks Garry. Precisely what I wanted to know.

Have a good Christmas mate!

:xgrin: