Lightning crash

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

henk hugo
Viscount
Viscount

Re: Lightning crash

Post by henk hugo »

James i was chatting to a mate of mine that used to fly bucs and his dad used to fly lightnings, there's a photo of the 2nd fly past the aircraft made with a liquid streaming out of the back. He agree's with me that it is NOT fuel venting as its WAY to thick for fuel at that speed. He will be in contact with the SACAA to have a little chat.... lets home that can clear somethings up for them

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I agree that you're not looking at a fuel leak. That is definitely oil or hydraulic fluid. The best indication is that the stream pattern is sufficient to be ignited if fuel and yet the flames only propagate a short distance. This suggests a much heavier fluid. In addition, if it was oil, there would be more widespread flames. This leads me to believe this is probably hydraulic fluid as the fire-resistant properties of Skydrol & 5056(or equivalent), the two most common hydraulic fluids, mean that they typically won't hold a flame, even in a "vapor" form. Looking at the location and volume of the "leak" I would suspect a ruptured hydraulic line hear the horizontal stab that caught fire, became more widespread due to the fire eating at the hole, and that led to the problem. The pictures are very telling with fire coming from just below the base of the horizontal stab and the bottom of the lower engine bay. When you work around propliners like the Convairs, you quickly learn to tell the difference because oil leaks are all to common and can be tolerated to a point, but hydraulic leaks have to be addressed immediately.

My biggest question here is that if there was a leak and the fire department placed drip pans, did no one from the TC maintenance crew (or the pilot) fully investigate the source before flying? It would stand to reason for the flameouts the previous day could be due to the hydraulic fluid "putting out" the engines. It has happened in the past on other types.

henk hugo
Viscount
Viscount

Post by henk hugo »

You see thats what we cant understand. Dave was one hell of a pilot. he was the test pilot here in SA for the new Hawks, he held so many ratings etc, he even instructed at Empire test pilot school.

the CAA would have put in their report if any work was done that night after the flame outs. Dave was not the kind of guy to get into an aircraft knowing something is wrong - WHO told him the aircraft was fine.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Too much speculation - since the manufacturers, and the AAIB are involved , why not leave it to the experts?

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Too much speculation - since the manufacturers, and the AAIB are involved , why not leave it to the experts?
What's wrong with a bit of speculation amongst like minded folk? It's not as if anything written here is going to be taken and used in the report.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Chris - I don't see any speculation here. We are stating that the investigation is WRONG by stating that it was fuel leaking. We are ASKING why there's no mention of if/what inspections/repairs were done before the flight in the report.

These are serious things, and to me, the report is trying to paint a picture that TC is a bunch of unsafe idiots flying aircraft they have no business having their hands on and that the pilot was just as stupid. That is not investigation - that is slander.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

oh Chris go Play in Traffic

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Come come Chaps, its Christmas Day for God sake, play nice :xdeer:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

so right Ben, thats what I was saying mate ,, I use the wrong translator for my post... I reckon

:xsmile:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

This bablefish thing will never work properly ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage