An Argos Puzzle

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

An Argos Puzzle

Post by AndyMinx »

Hi Everyone,

I'm a little confised since I can't find anything on Argos' website or elswhere online, so I'm hoping someone here can help...

Just before New Year I purchased a portable DVD player/Digital photo frame. Upon getting it home I found the picture and sound quality awful! The items works perfectly but I'm very disappointed with the quality.

Now Argos returns policy states that goods returned must be new and unused, but I'm deeply unhappy with the product.

Does anyone know what I can do?

I apologies if this isn't the right place for this sort of question but I'm a little lost!

Any help would be very much appreciated....
Andy M.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: An Argos Puzzle

Post by TSR2 »

Who is the manufacturer, can you contact them?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

It's Wharfdale...whoever the hell they are!

What might I ask them?
Andy M.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Andy.I'm not sure of the exact wording but I believe that there is something in UK consumer law which states that goods purchased must be 'fit for purpose'
If you don't think that what you have purchased meets that requirement you may have a case for a refund.Others may be better informed than I.Have you contacted Argos?.I think that they are usually very understanding when dealing with genuine cases of customer dissatisfaction.ATB EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

I havn't yet contacted Argos but will probably try tomorrow.

The plan I have is to swap it for a 15" LCD TV / DVD player.
Andy M.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

That sounds like the best plan Andy. Do you still have all of the packaging etc?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hi Andy. Here's a page from Which? Magazine's consumer advice section.

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/returning ... /index.jsp

Basically, for unwanted purchases, the law says that the retailer doesn't have to take returns but some do. The protection is slightly better for online purchases and different for faulty goods.

Ian :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Depends what's meant by unwanted...in this case it's because the item is substandard to what the consumer was led to believe or perhaps this unit does have faulty componants.

I think though, Argos should be contacted first before the rights and wrongs of returns are discussed in public forums as it might put Argos into a bad light with some folks when there may not, in fact, be a prolem.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Which? have also got a comparison review of 22 digital photo frames on their website which is not available to non-subscribers. But there's a page of buying advice which I believe you can access.

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/how-to-bu ... /index.jsp

The review lists 8 'best buys' ranging from £80-219. Sony, Kodak or Jessop featuring between 63% and 87% in marks awarded. By comparison, the bottom of the review are Polaroid and Alba at around 25-30% and £30-50. No Wharfedales tested. It looks like you get what you pay for with these things. They are expensive, aren't they!!!!

Portable DVD players review (again no Wharfedale) has two Sonys and a Panasonic at the top and a Panasonic, Proline and Acoustic Solutions at the bottom. Prices range from £50-204 but in this case the Panasonic model at the bottom is £160!!!! Nearly as expensive as the Sony at the top. What a minefield.

Ian :)

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Andy,

Click

Take it back to the store you bought it from, tell them that you're very disappointed with the product.(you mentioned that it works perfectly but you are not happy with the quality)

Bear in mind that the company you bought it from are general retailers only and are not 'tech savvy'

Their options are:

a) Tell you to contact the manufacturer.

b) Take the item back and give you a credit note if you want to upgrade to a better product.

c) Give you a full refund.

As noted in previous posts, items must be 'fit for purpose' and you have statutory rights.

Stand your ground mate ;)

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals