Puma

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Puma

Post by DaveB »

That doesn't look half bad gaffer.. room has been made available in my FSX hangar ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

cockpit look nothing like a puma though past or present...

i can help you with that if you wish....

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

DC..

I don't really care if the inside looks like a Puma or not.. not that I'd know the difference anyway :lol: Downloaded it today when pulling the Hawk 2010 display paint and having given it a wizz around Valley, thought I'd say what a nice job I think you've done with it. Each new model shows improvements over the last and the Puma is no exception ;) It flies well, looks the part and sounds cool too. Not only is this a 'keeper'.. I'll use it too ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

yes its pretty, but for me if it looks like a duck i would hope it quacks like a duck, because if it dont, it aint a duck 'cos ducks dont go moo

JF's connie is dreadfull in comparision with the freeware one, the free ware one aint quite as pretty and the payware versionprobaly spent 100's hours on the external stuff i'll at most spent 10 mins looking at becuase the rest of my time will be in the cockpit where the freeware connie wins by a country mile

i guess some folks are nearer the radio control end of the scale as in as long as it look like whatever thats ok the simulation is not as important, me i am definatly at the simulation end, external view much less important..of course in actual full flight simualtion you will almost never see an outside view with some rare exceptions, interestingly the puma full flight sim is one of the rare exceptions

how spooky is that

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Indeed :lol:

I'm not saying it's the most accurate rendition of any single thing I've ever seen and for me, it's a bit of fun as it's FSX and that's where I play rather than take things too seriously. 99.9% of my FSX time is spent outside goofing at the lovely GenX scenery so functionality wins over accuracy as far as the inside is concerned. The Puma model isn't pretty but neither is the real thing :lol: I can see (as can anyone with a modicum of normal vision) that it wouldn't suit the switch bosuns of this world who want everything to be as the real thing and I don't imagine for one minute this model was pitched into that area.

It's free, it's a bit of fun, it doesn't fly too bad and it looks like a Puma should to the casual user ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

have to agree on the genX, did not bother with the jets since you cant see much from 30,000ft.

soon as i started flying the choppers the outside view had to be improved, because low down it does matter...

our VA has only the wessex but i have a WS51 in the private hanger i buzz around in occasionally

a bit of a dearth of good choppers to fly in flight sim alas.

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

indeed the inside is not like any uk based puma, but this is merely down to the lack of reference photos i could obtain, so in the end, you get a usable hover machine, simple. As my new moto goes, you get what you get for free, if you want a fully accurate puma, go pay £50 plus to one of the payware teams. :thumbsup:

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

no need, been flying the puma full flight sim for nearly 10 years (among many others for over 30 years)..

it's regarded as the hardest of the chopper sims we have to get off and back on the ground, it can bite you real quick...seems to be born out by the real aircraft accident rates compared to the other of our choppers over recent years. Puma has been going out of service for the last five years...funny how its still operational LoL.

i would not worry about your puma, the payware FSX merlin is even worse and no where near the mark so the puma is by no means near the bottom (or the top)

best chopper out thier is hovercontrols freeware Bell 412 for FSX/FS9, it models the things anyone who has been near an actual helicopter knows all about..you really dont want to exceed the torque limits on the engine or transmission LoL, thier aint no bang seat or even a chute in most choppers so it always a good idea to stay in the limits because thier wont be much left if you dont.

in my view helicopters have more opportunities to go wrong and for the pilot to screw up and get killed on a day to day basis than most flying machines

part of the "challenge" of flying them i guess