Unknown Nimrod file

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Unknown Nimrod file

Post by SkippyBing »

Oh look they're talking about it here too http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/ ... stion.html.
The ex-F3 driver I know certainly mentioned in passing that the automatic system was disabled, and then it all got very juvenile...

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

only disabled in RAF service...

and it worked where i was in the 90's

adding those two facts together you can guess where i was in the 90's LoL

some RAF types in the '91 gulf war got a hell of a suprise when they saw "our" GR1 tonkas had all the air to air modes (removed from the RAF ones) such as a Air to Air radar mode on the CRPMD and we could buddy refuel and we could laser designate already. thier were Torndao GR1's and then thier were tornado GR'1s the RAF had a sort of tornado GR1 "economy version" Our ADV's had the ECM fit already the RAF's had bugger all at that time.

not all GR1's or ADV's were created equal, some where more equal than others LoL

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

ok lets not open this up again. I have worked Tornado since 1990, until last year when 43 Sqn died. I have worked GR1, F2, F3 and GR4, and NON had the system enabled. the F2 had it working for a small time, for testing purposes, but it was so unreliable, and caused so many in flight trim issues, it was disabled very quickly. Yes other nations DID have it, but as the IRIS release was a GR release, and not IDS or ECM, then it was incorrect, simples :dunno:

now back to topic, some images clearly show to me, a curve, or maybe i need to get my eyes tested!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29288836@N ... 7/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34208816@N ... 6/sizes/o/

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi DC :hello:

Yup.. there is a curve visible in that first shot though it looks a lot less defined than in the model. This may be how flightsim picks up light (poorly!) as I've just sat for 10mins looking at the first shot and the model in the sim at the same angle and lots of areas over the entire aircraft are showing light reflection where on the real thing, there is none :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

DC second shot is the MR4A, a very different beasty ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

just to re-iterate the original statement "Tornado did not have auto wingsweep" im afraid the case is proven that actually some did

ones of the crews opinion on AWS

With fully variable auto wing sweep and manoevres it would be a lot better off - and this could have been a no-cost option for the RAF. In Saudi service the auto wing sweep and manoeuvres on the fighter have proved their worth - fully variable would be even better.

i have been in invovled since the very early 80's until 5 years ago and in the RSAF the F3 auto wing sweep was very much alive.

certainly in the Sim the ADV was a dogfight Dog in manual but in auto wingsweep was a different beast.

in manual you left it at 45 most of the time because too far forward it would kill your roll rate and acceleration, too far back it would kill your turn rate and acceleration. in auto you did not worry about it, it was usually in the right place. the only complaint i ever heard was it was a bit slow to adjust sometimes and was not infinitly variable

during trials in RAF service the ADV ate the F4 phantom alive, out turned, out rolled, out accelerated it. according to BAE lightning pilots it could out accellerate a lightning as well. all in auto wing sweep of course during trials for the RSAF it also defeated the F15A due to ADV's much better weapons system, in a guns fight i would put my money on the F15a though.

Iris's tonka, i prefered the lago one or even better Digital intergrations one, now that was close, just not for FS. Got an old Nimrod sim for the PC some were, cant remember who did it, also not for FS, and i seem to recall a lightning sim as well, pre PC that one though i just remember the acoustics stations being a bit of a sod to master..sinking the sub was a great feeling though LoL

alas i have not seen a decent or in fact any PC sim of a Brit combat jet since the 80's/early 90's DI's Tonka being the last i recall. thier are some nice models made for FS but they are just that...and some are even accurate,

is the nimrod line curved, depends on angle of view, not a detail i would notice...unless it was in the cockpit LoL

regards

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

No offence Bob but this is a Nimrod thread
not a Tornado thread

Regards
Rick

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

none taken

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

This thread really sums it up for me as to the reason i don't "Fly" and enjoy Flight sims anymore....we have a simple question by DaveB as regards to someones unfinished model which in itself is harmless and interesting for us folks who don't model for FS then it disappears into a tangent for other models by other people...? I get very depressed whilst reading this and think of the likes of the Gaff and Rick and Matt and Brian to name but a few who excel in making our hobby much more enjoyable with their time and dedication.

I really don't care anymore for this hobby and reading this makes it very tedious....some say why don't you not read the threads then....but it's my hobby and i used to like reading the threads but why oh why does it have to deviate all the time....I really am sick of it guys....i think i'll just stick to painting some A/C privately from now on and stay well away from reading and participating in ANY threads...really is sad.. :dunno:

My opinion only as i have been into FS since 1984 when i was staioned at RAF Lossie with real Buccs and Shacks and Hunters and Nimrods... :sigh

Nothing is gonna change i suppose is it....ah well.....

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Nigel Edwards
Comet
Comet

Post by Nigel Edwards »

If you google Nimrod MR2 pics from Fairford last year you'll find some of XV226 as we departed (particularly by Adam Noonan and Terry Beales) and they clearly show the curve of the jet pipes. It is far more pronounced than you might otherwise think. I think Matt's modelled it very well.

Best wishes

Nige

MR2 QFI
Things wasted to a pilot:

Runway behind you
Fuel in the bowser
Money in the bank