Windows Woes

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Windows Woes

Post by tonymadge »

I have XP on my home PC and my laptop and my Daughters netbook, all work very well and odd glitches normally easy to fix. So I have to ask the old question "why fix when it aint broke"

My trouble with Vista and Windows 7 has come from two sources. My Dad has a recent laptop running Vista which is generally thought of as SHY :rant: TE
I upgraded him to Windows 7 and its a lot better however we lost the DVD drive as Windows 7 refuses to run or recognise any device with a driver thats uncertificated etc, so after an hour in the registry and removing upper and lower filters it was back working again. Next came Windows Live Mail, gone for ever Outlook Distress which oddly worked fine in XP...
End result he has a laptop running reasonably well much faster than Vista but not as good as XP in my opinion.

Next step was Sister she bought a new Samsung R519 laptop with Vista with a free upgrade to 7 oddly enough it costs £17 for postage of the 7 Disc...Ummm not really free then is it?

Installed 7 and 6 hours later she had a fast laptop, the upgrade was a dire thing to do, I had to locate new drivers using another PC due to nothing including the wifi working. In the end I got there but it was a day wasted.

My final thoughts on this is...My PC/Laptop and Netbook are all staying in XP mode it works great is lean and fast. I won't buy a PC in future until I have to and then I will make sure it has Win 7 already installed, which when I get chance will have XP Pro installed ASAP :lol:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores