Nice Plane, not often seen

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Nice Plane, not often seen

Post by TobyV »

NigelC wrote:One of the 1-11 drivers at BIA banged out of a Javelin when an engine blew up and the cast-off blades punctured the fuel collector tank. Big Fire!

He had a second Martin-Baker tie for leaving a Meteor (don't know what mark) after an engine problem with that.

Apparently, according to someone else I know that flew Javelins, when you engaged reheat th bl@@dy thing slowed down!

N
Judging by the number of successive marks that were supplied to the RAF, I think it was perceived that Glosters were using the RAF to do their development! Seemingly the reheat problem was caused by the inability to supply both the primary combustors and the thrust augmentation system with sufficient fuel. I was very surprised to read that. Usually the problem with [a badly designed] reheat [nozzle] is that it places a backpressure on the engine which feeds back to the compressor, resulting in the compressor surging, but seemingly that wasn't the issue with the Javelin:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... istory.php

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

As I understand it the reheat problem only occurred below a certain altitude, above that as the air thinned the fuel pump was able to deliver enough fuel to both parts of the engine for full combustion. Certainly a bit of a fubar in the design stage!

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

in reply to austerdriver's question, my screenies are of Mr Ito's Javelin, but I completely reworked the flight dynamics as they were not representative of such a heavy plane, although I've actually made it just supersonic in a dive...
Regards,

Degsy

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

An aircraft's faults and foibles are what give it its character!

Lovely aircraft, the Javelin. Would have been great to have seen one fly... alas, I was born 14 years too late.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DaveB wrote::lol: :lol:

Me too :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk

I bet you had the Saladin armoured car too. After five minutes, the gun barrels would be at a funny angle, and broke off when you tried to straighten them. From then on, you had to convince yourself it was one of Percy Hobart's 'Funnies'. What a swizz.

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

I had Saladin but the Alvis model, practicaly unbendable gun barrel, wasn't allowed to keep it though,

My brother had one too but other bits got bent due to rough handling,

My brother on the revamped by a Mk7 anti tank mine the Regiment had 3 such misshaps in our time in Aden.

The Salamander based on that chassis layout was the only one I never got to drive.
Rich

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Nice ride Rich :)

How did you brother find the AA box in Aden? :):):)

Leif