CTD @ 5000 feet

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

CTD @ 5000 feet

Post by Chris Trott »

Okay, I'm usually not one to need help with these kinds of things, but I'm at a dead end.

Here's the setup -

FS9.1
Windows XP SP3 (with all current patches)
FSUIPC up-to-date
Video Dirvers up-to-date
Sound Drivers up-to-date

No matter where I am or what I'm doing, the sim crashes to desktop at 5000 feet +/- 500 feet. I can sit on the ground all I want, but the minute I pass 500 feet, it just dies.

Only changes since it worked -

1) Microsoft Intellipoint is acting odd (always telling me I need to re-install the sofware despite several re-installs)
2) I installed ActiveSky Evolution (Intellipoint problem existing) - Have un-installed it, but problem remains

I'm thinking I may have a virus, but don't want to take the computer offline for a day to run a full scan if it's something else and I've never had a virus successfully implant on my desktop computer thanks to multiple layers of defense from this occurring.

Any ideas?

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: CTD @ 5000 feet

Post by Chris Trott »

I tried fully uninstalling Intellipoint and that didn't fix it either, even though I got a lot further than I had previously.... This is getting really frustrating because it doesn't matter where or what I do, it still crashes. I've tried 5 or 6 different airplanes and over a dozen airports and it always crashes.... :(

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I've tried to get my head around this Chris but I can't *-) Does it happen at every instance.. by that I mean not using a saved flight but creating a new one using a default aircraft?? With or without weather?? Have you tried rebuilding the cfg/s? Something mighty odd about it happening on or around the 5k ft which would lead me to think it pointed to something in a saved flight.. perhaps a weather transition point :dunno:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Dave, I admit, that's what has me stumped as well.

I never use a saved flight. These are all "create a new flight" flights and it uses the default flight as a starting point. It's happening everywhere at the same altitude, so that is what has me stumped.

In addition, I did another flight today after my second post and this time I got to 11,000 feet, went about 5 minutes at that altitude and then (without anything changing) the sim crashed again. I've tried with and without ActiveSky Advanced, with and without ActiveSky Evolution, and with and without FSINN weather, so it's something base to FS that's causing the problem - but where.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Nope, rendertotexture has always been out of my CFG (early removal and I confirmed it) and I have all of those modules even though they're not required for flying aircraft other than the PMDG 747-400s.

Also, I did a virus sweep of the entire HDD that has my OS on it and it was clean. I will probably scan my HDD that FS resides on tonight as it's very large and thus takes most of the night to scan.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

What Internet explorer are you using?

FS9 does use some html code linked to i.e

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Chris do you get any error messages when this happens?? A friend of mine had similar problems and it kept saying the panels.dll was at fault, it turned out to be dodgy ram!! Replaced his ram and never had a problem scince. Odd thing was it only happened in FS9 :dunno:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Nope, no error messages.

However, I did find that several MSC files were missing tonight when I tried to open the Device Manager and then Search. I don't have time to see if it has any correlation though.

Looking through the MS troubleshoot, that's not the problem. However, oddly enough, when I try to click the "about" button on IE6, it says it doesn't have enough memory to complete the operation and throws an error code of 53. I'll look deeper into that.