The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Saitek Flight Pro yoke with quadrant

Post by tonymadge »

Not sure if all that lot was spelt correctly.. but you get my drift
I have a CH yoke thats the old joystick port type and a set of CH rudder pedals with same connection.
I am being nagged for ideas re my impending birthday and as I dont want a power drill or a lawn mower I thought I would get in first with this kit, advertised at PCWorld for £129 but seen elsewhere for around £105, Ok is it any good?? will my present rudder pedals still work (using joystick port on sound card) am I going mad and will World Peace ever reach Tamworth ona saturday night??
Cheers for any replies
Tony..not the ambo one..in fact I dont like blood..I find it far too rich for my pallete :worried:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Saitek Flight Pro yoke with quadrant

Post by Scorpius »

Bought one last month, (yoke and quadrant) a bit of a fiddle regarding setting up but has now settled down and I wonder how I ever managed without it. The yoke has 3 usb ports plus one socket for the quadrant so your rudder pedals may well work.

Go ahead mate!

Scorpius

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Cheers for the reply, the three levers on the the throttle what do you assign them to? I assume one for throttle.... also I see it has a click zone at the end of the reavel for reverse thrust?? does that work and set up easy?
Cheers Tony

bobdawkins
Viscount
Viscount

Post by bobdawkins »

I have the SAITEK yoke and 2 throttle quadrants, plus also the rudder pedals as well, :excited: I've set up my rocker switch's this way, Top Row from left to right, Battery, Alternator/Generator, Avionics, Landing Lights, All Lights, Cowl flaps open, Bottom Row, from left to right Engine 1,2,3,4, Parking Brake, Cowl flaps open the Yoke I have set up to use Flaps, Gear up and down, Knee pad (already set as default) Red button as my views, IE Spot, Tower, etc, Left hand side I have set it for the trim, this is really made my flying experience much more realistic except the crashing, *-) so I fall down the stairs to make this more realistic as well, :wall: 8) :doh: you can do some really good sideslips with this setup, I (eye) 99.9999% recommend this to anyone
Bob Dawkins,South-West Cambridgeshire, U.K, HGV lorry Driver. If thing's don't change they'll stay the same.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

2 throttle quadrants??? I thought it came with one with three levers Bob, I was curious if all three levers were for throttle axis only?
Cheers Tony

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

The 3 axis are for throttle, prop pitch and mixture. I use the detent on the throttle for reverse thrust.

bobdawkins
Viscount
Viscount

Post by bobdawkins »

I bought an extra one so I could set it up to fly with my four engine aircraft, and with the colored knobs on the levers you can set it up anyway you like,Image
Bob Dawkins,South-West Cambridgeshire, U.K, HGV lorry Driver. If thing's don't change they'll stay the same.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Tony

I bought a Saitek Pro yoke to replace my CH Pro yoke around a year ago.
The throttles are superb, with a long 'throw' and the ability to set up for reverse thrust.
Sadly, the yoke is another matter. The motion is very 'sticky' both in aileron and elevator axis (there are many posts on the Saitek forum for methods to get around this - one involving replacing springs with their daughters elastic hair ties). Also, the central detents (stopping motion of the yoke at neutral position) are much, much, much too heavy.
Another problem encountered involves the software (again recorded in several posts on the Saitek forum). Here, one of the buttons which should not be assigned (8 or 9 if I remember) is assigned by the software. In my case, this has resulted in uncommanded gear deployment and uncommanded switching of views (as in use of the 'S' key). This can be reset manually, but surely this should not be required.
I've reverted to my old CH Pro yoke, combined with Saitek Pro pedals. I'm currently trying to see if I can use the Saitek throttles, without the Saitek yoke.
Hopefully, others have had a better experience with the Saitek yoke, but mine is poor.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm..

With only 3 axis covered, this hardly seems worth the effort 8) I'd go for something by CH (their throttle quad comes with 6 levers) or one of the other manufacturers. An alternative would be to buy a CH Pro Yoke (USB) which comes with 3 levers as standard and more switches than you can play with ;) A 3-lever throttle, on it's own, really isn't worth the effort unless you fly single engined aircraft all the time and nowt else.. which you don't ;)

Had I not swapped my CH Throttle Quad for an Nvidia 8800GTX.. you could have had it for the postage. Nowt wrong with it.. I just lost interest ;) Buy your wife some flowers instead :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Thanks giuys for honest for and against posts..much appreciated.
I have the old single throttle lever joystick port CH yoke along with the rudder pedals, all works well bar a bit sticky on the push pull yoke which I can use graphite to sort that out.. I noticed in PCWorld where they had one set up that the centre point on the yoke was a bit severe other than that it felt good.
The quadrant I was not sure of as I dont piddle with prop and mixture..(I'mtoo idle)
Looks like back to the drawing board then!
Thanks for the kind offer Dave, it would have been worth a try but me having the old joystick port type may have scuppered that anyway :)