Book Recommendation

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Book Recommendation

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I've just read a pair by Ben Macintyre - both very well known stories, but written with the greater freedom allowed so much longer after the events.

Agent Zigzag (the Eddie Chapman story - Triple Cross - think Christopher Plummer, Yul Brynner and Gert Frobe, but without the Hollywood touches!)

and

Operation Mincemeat (Think "The Man Who Never Was")

I suspect the latter is a little controversial as certain elements believe(d) that "the man" was one of theirs (including, slightly perversely, the RN), whereas this book really ties down the identity to the person it was.

Both well worth a read if you're at a loose end...
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

mayagrafix
Comet
Comet

Post by mayagrafix »

Here's somore pdf books I found about Brit aviation:

The Westland Wyvern was a British single-seat carrier-based multi-role strike aircraft built by Westland Aircraft that served in the 1950s, seeing active service in the 1956 Suez Crisis.

Hawker Hunter (Warpaint Series No. 08) by Alan W. Hall = needs no intro:-)

Gloster Gladiator (Warpaint Series No. 37) by Tom Spencer - One of my favorite oldtime crates

This one has all serial No.'s of all flying AC under all British services - balloons included!

Links removed by moderator

Enjoy comrades!

mayagrafix
Comet
Comet

Post by mayagrafix »

here's another:

Peter Dancey
The Avro Vulcan: A History
This book provides a complete illustrated history of the Avro Vulcan, covering the period from 1947 to 1984, when it was finally withdrawn due to mounting costs. The history includes chapters on trials and development, taking flight, the Vulcan B.2 and Black Buck attacks in the Falklands War.

Link removed by moderator

:thumbsup:

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

Just finished the excellent Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White.
Seems there's two ISBN's. One might be a hard cover the other paperback, they are ISBN-10: 0593054504 and ISBN-13: 978-0593054505

I thought it was very very well written with some cracking insights into carrier ops "Senior Service style" (nice change from the usual US Navy way of doing things I thought).

Thanks to it I'm now fired up re carrier ops and FSX again, with the Gannet hauled out of the hanger and trying to get her to do traps and cats on Ark, though cursing that I now need to get FSX acceleration pack though :(
Currently resigned to doing touch and go's with the Gannet or flying rings round her sail with Rick's Sycamore at the moment till I can figure out the best route to sort it (read cheapest!)
:thumbsup:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks

3 worthwhile reads -

Title - Faith, Hope and Malta GC
Author - Tony Spooner
ISBN - 978-1872308500
Outline - A compilation of diary entries.
Area of Malta is only 121 sq miles.
More bombs were dropped on Malta in 30 days,
than on the entire UK, in any 30 days throughout WWII.

Title - I sank the Bismark
Author - John Moffat
ISBN - 978-0552159487
Outline - Memoirs of a pilot's life.

Title - Sigh for a Merlin
Author - Alex Henshaw
ISBN - 978-0947554835
Outline - Testing the Spitfire

Cheers to Geester, for the loan of above.

HTH
ATB
Paul
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Thanks for that Paul, will look them up ;)

I've just finished 'First Light' by Geoffrey Wellum, one of the BoB's youngest Spitfire pilots...an excellent read ;)

ISBN 0-141-00814-8

ATB.

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DelP wrote:Thanks for that Paul, will look them up ;)

I've just finished 'First Light' by Geoffrey Wellum, one of the BoB's youngest Spitfire pilots...an excellent read ;)

ISBN 0-141-00814-8
Yes Derek,

I agree with you...I think that guy really knows how to write about flying as it really was and not how he would have liked it to be. Nothing fanciful just great accuracy about exactly how he felt at the time. I thought it a wonderful and beautifully written book.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DelP wrote:
Agreed; a man with a story to tell and the ability to tell it well. The account of being lost ( or at least uncertain of position ) in low cloud is one of the most absorbing bits of aviation writing I've ever read.

Geoffrey Wellum was a guest on Clare Balding's 'Ramblings' on Radio 4 a while back. You can still listen to it, but I think you need Real Player 2 or something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/ram ... 1114.shtml

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

I would say that 'First Light' is the best memoir that I have read.In fact I read it twice and still have it.I think I may have mentioned this book much earlier in this thread.ATB EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

stegs
Trident
Trident

Post by stegs »

One of the best books I have ever read about flight and flying is "Think Like a Bird" by Alex Kimbell.
He was an Army pilot flying Beavers in Aden during the sixties and he recounts various episodes
during that conflict but for me the best parts of the book are his tales of learning to fly in Chipmunks
and learning the skills of an Army pilot in various Austers at Middle Wallop.
Definitely worth a read.

Steve