Black 5 for Speedbird591

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Black 5 for Speedbird591

Post by cstorey »

That's a lovely digram of a Deltic. However, this may be a silly question, but should not all 3 crankshafts rotate in the same direction? Gearing them together will otherwise be a very complex matter. Edit : having looked it up, it seems that at any rate in the naval versions, one crank did contra rotate despite all the additional gears required, because this enables the piston/ port timing to be properly phased . I do remember the very curious noise they made - a bit like a much bigger version of that extraordinary Commer opposed piston engine used in the Commer lorries of the late 1950s
Last edited by cstorey on 18 May 2010, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. a good point Chris *-)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Dave : see my edit above

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chris :hello:

Yes.. it had me guessing too but looking a little further (probably where Joe got that animated diagram from) shows that one crankshaft is out of sync with the other 2 :)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CCwQ9QEwAw

Chapter 1 - General description gives details ;)

Funny.. a Minehunter I was on for a while had 2 of these tinkers as main propulsion and the only things I remember about them was they were degaused and were cartridge start! :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

probably sometihng in the engineering requires it to rotate in a clockwise direction.
a gear on gear thing .... :dunno: anti-vibration.

or the annimation went wrong. *-)

I don't know anything about them gents,
I've heard of the engine before and had connected the dots when I read Bobs user name

thats it.

but then again is my memory even reliable anymore :doh:

Dave I got it from siki.

Edit

sorry Chris I overlooked your posted edit

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

Well this thread has certainly wandered :lol: but its all interesting stuff. If I get any decent photos of a railtour I'm off to see this weekend I will post them up.
Richard
ImageImage

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

I thought Bob might like that poster image. B-)

Bob and I go back a few years.. Back to the dark old days of ukts where we were both cab-builders of various excellent old British diesel locos.

So you used to drive odd Deltics then Bob? Does that mean you're practically deaf?

Actually, sadly, the Class 55 Deltic is one of the very few UK diesel engines of which I've not been in the cab. A serious omission on my part. (Done a fair few kettle cabs as well mind including sitting in the driving seat of both Mallard AND Princess Elizabeth. Just need Flying Scotsman and City of Truro to get the set of record breakers).

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Blimey,I never thought my few piccies would trigger such a wide ranging chat(along with Garry's jokes-'Diesel do' :wall: )For what it's worth,we've just booked on SRPS's Diesel hauled trip on 29th May which starts at North Berwick and goes to Plockton and Kyle of Lochalsh.It will be a long day,we will join it at Edinbugh Waverley at 0630 and it returns at 2330.Even longer of course for anyone at N Berwick.
Looking sometime ahead,we may book on a round trip from Edinburgh through Newcastle,Carlisle and back in November.This will be hauled by Tornado. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

DaveB wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't think that for one minute. You're just a chap who's interested in the railways (and god knows.. we have a load here!) and knew the answer to what was a genuine question regarding the use of nameplates :)

You don't have an anorak and a little book full of numbers do you?? *-) :lol:

It was a great answer mate and I commend it to the house ;) :guinn:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
Funnily enough, goggling Leuchars, I found this:
http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/840407hr.htm
'The leuchars aide' headboard. Looking through that site after that, I had a good laugh at some of the names - pheasant plucker and kipper catcher being an example. I presume this is some sort of 'theme' and
there's a need to come up with a catchy and preferably funny name. Good for a chuckle!
http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/trf/trfindex.htm
Jim

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

Fodda wrote:Does that mean you're practically deaf?
WHAT ??? :dunno:

My hearing is OK - average for a 50 something.

The animated gif is correct. The bottom crank does indeed go the opersite way to the top two. The way the Napier/Engilish Electric people, (who developed the engine initially for marine use...it is (only just) still in use in a few Navy vessels, in its 9 cylinder form), got round this is to have lots of gears (in the phasing case) at one end of the engine. In the case of the 9 & 36 cylinder units used by British rail, this lead to a common output that was directly connected to the main generater*. If you have heard one start/shut down (or check out You Tube), the heavy rattle of the gears at start up & shut down is clearly heard.

To be honest I am enjoying these little asides of the odd kettle post. I go over to YouTube & look at the train mentioned. In this case the Black 5 in Scotland.

Long may it continue.

*The 9 cylinder varient's main generator turning at engine speed. The 36 cylinder varient is geared to turn less than engine speed.....I forget the exact gearing off the top of my head. Does not crop up often in everyday conversation :party:

Bob

Some of the technically minded might find these of interest therfore http://www.thebabydelticproject.co.uk/

http://www.thedps.co.uk/
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC