Odd FS9 Experience at CYLT

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Odd FS9 Experience at CYLT

Post by Badgerman »

Hi,

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what happened in my latest FS9 flight - so I've popped over to the experts here to see if anybody can clue me in...

I decided to fly the CFS Alert - CFB Trenton route, it's been a while since I've been to the Arctic! I placed my trusty Hercules on the active runway (not like you've much of a choice in Alert), but was somewhat surprised to find that the airfield seemed to be, for lack of a better word, "floating" on the terrain. Not sitting above it... but moving with the aircraft. As I commenced my take off run, I was somewhat disturbed to find the entire airfield following me at a bit of a distance behind... (no, I've not been drinking!...) Luckily REX kicked in and provided a nice cloud base to cover up the embarrassing bits...

I searched around on the Internet to see if anybody else had reported the same thing, and sure enough, I found a couple of references to CYLT "following" you... now I know if you've ever been there, you never "really" leave Alert, but this is a bit much!

So... my question to all is... is there any way to stop this from happening, and if there is, please share. Otherwise - if you're looking for a surreal experience, may I suggest a quick visit to "Inuit Nunangata Ungata"...

Mark

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Odd FS9 Experience at CYLT

Post by Garry Russell »

Have you reloaded and retried.........might me a one off loading screw up that any program can do from time to time *-)

Sounds almost like the aircraft and airfield went into a sort of screwed up slew mode :dunno:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Is it a default airfield Mark?? I'll go and take a look but I think I might have UT Canada/Alaska on this system so whatever I find might not be valid. Sounds very odd and no mistakin' :-O Best guess at the moment is a slight mismatch in field/mesh elevation. I've always seen odd things happen at the default Ostende.. the aircraft going down the runway being akin to a ship moving through water.. the runway disappearing around the aircraft and appearing again behind it. It's something you only see at certain view angles but it doesn't instill any confidence :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

It is a bit too near the pole...FS9 does not cope to well up there. I've had the same problem down south near the pole. You just have to put up with it but if you lay an airfield in that region be very careful that the airfield height exactly matches the terrain height...This will not stop the phenomenom entirely and you may still see the runway sliding over the terrain as you taxy. FSX in theory should not have this problem as it models the Earth differently.

BTW...AI Traffic is not entirely reliable in near the pole regions either...It will sometimes just fly past the destination without actually seeing it...but not always! Next time it might well succeed and land normally.

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

'Morning Gents,

Thanks for the comments, it's nice to know that I wasn't going crazy... It's a stock airfield, but I am running UT Can/Alaska. Going from what Peter's said, it's not doing it too badly, as it just seems to slide along the surface. I do have FSX as well, and it's a much safer place to fly into/out of than it is in FS9... Now I'll have to divert to Ostende to go see what's happening there! I hope it doesn't move when you try to fly into the place... I've not been doing too well with landing on carriers lately!

Thanks...

Mark

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mark...

I've just had a chance to look at CYLT in FS9 and I see exactly the same as you mate. I'm pretty sure Peter's explanation is sound.. this being too far North for FS to nail it down tight ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Is that far enough North to have the tall squashed clouds??
Garry

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Yes...tall squashed clouds all over the place.

All in all an interesting experience... just as strange as Alert deserves :worried:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Makes sense :agree: .....it would seem to be an indication of the "Twilight Zone" :lol:
Garry

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Sir, Twilight zone sums it up perfectly!

I just landed - everything I've done in CYLT involved taking off and looking around, but I felt "what the heck?"... landing is even more fun than taking off! The aircraft was sort of slewing through the air, lined up with the runway, with everything moving along just slightly off of centre... just like crabbing in on a crosswind, but with all your visual cues off to boot. The good news, is that if you simply ignore the view, and fly the right heading, eventually you (and the runway) end up right where you're supposed to be... but that funny music from the twilight zone TV show would have made it simply perfect!

I flipped into FSX to check out some of the other Nunavut airfields I'm familiar with. Good news - none of them move. Bad news ? A bit of a shock to find trees north of 60 degrees... FSX autogen is doing it's valiant best to populate an unpopulated area with houses, fences, trees... all those things that just don't show up north of 60 degrees! The only thing missing was a Polar Bear wondering what the funny noise maker was...

But there's no sense in griping about it. At least they've got the runways in the right place :Dance:

Thanks to all for helping me out!

Mark