Virtual Sailor: HMS Belfast

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Virtual Sailor: HMS Belfast

Post by FlyTexas »

The HMS Belfast courtesy of 'Bogey61' released today for Virtual Sailor. The main guns can be fired, and the Walrus can be launched. The game treats the Walrus as a missile so you might want to be careful where you point it. :lol:

http://hangsim.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3517

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Virtual Sailor: HMS Belfast

Post by Paul K »

Rather good, that ( apart from the White Ensign being at the wrong end ). I shall have to google Virtual Sailor and catch up with developments. :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good spot Paul :lol: In fact.. while at sea, the White Ensign would be up the fwd mast. God.. I wonder which male reproductive organ let that one go! 8)

:lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Thanks for the info regarding the ensign. I quick touch-up in PSP can fix that. What should be flying in its place? :dunno:

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Brian :hello:

TBH.. when at sea, nothing would be flown either front or rear. If memory serves me right, the exception would be if at anchor but I can't remember the exact rules I'm afraid. Rule of thumb.. Jack and Ensign struck when alongside, Ensign only when at sea and usually hoisted up the fwd mast :) Too much goes on around the rear mast for it to go there (helicopters e t c) plus.. it would sit in line with the poop coming out of the funnels and we can't have a dirty ensign now can we ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Thanks very much Dave. I appreciate the help. :)

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

No Problemo Brian ;)

The more I think about it.. as soon as the anchor came up.. the Jack would come down (pointy end). Alongside.. always Jack up front and Ensign down the back.. hoisted each day at 'Colours' (usually 9am) and taken down again at Sunset (21:00 or earlier depending on when the sun actually set).
For the transition between alongside and going to sea where the Ensign might still be 'at the back'.. another Ensign was hoisted up the fwd mast but furled in a special way (basically rolled up with the halyard cleverly wrapped around it so that it would unfurl when given a good tug) so that when out of harbour at a designated point/time.. the Ensign from the rear would be pulled down and in a flash (or should that be in a tug), the one on the fwd mast would take over :) Clever bods these flag wavers :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

steve p
Victor
Victor

Post by steve p »

DaveB wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Good spot Paul :lol: In fact.. while at sea, the White Ensign would be up the fwd mast. God.. I wonder which male reproductive organ let that one go! 8)

:lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
Err, no Dave, for that particular model, the ensign should fly from the rear (main) mast if the ship is at sea. Photos bear this out. Maybe things changed post-war?

Cheers
Steve P

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes.. they did :lol:

It was traditional to fly a 'Battle Ensign' from the main mast (the one at the back) as these were by definition, huge and there simply wasn't space to fly them off the fwd mast. However, you didn't fly a Battle Ensign all the time :)

I've been left the RN 21years now and much has changed in that time. Undoubtedly, things were different 20 years before that and perhaps, again, 20 years before that ;)

Whatever.. at no point during the RN's long and distinguished history has an Ensign been flown from a Jack Staff :)

I sit back now and await one of the Wiki-Experts to prove that wrong too :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

steve p
Victor
Victor

Post by steve p »

Thanks Dave, that's me told. :lol:

Cheers
Steve P