First fatal C-17 crash

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: First fatal C-17 crash

Post by Garry Russell »

Indeed...It could well be that because the aircraft was pushed further than in normal operations, but still within the limits, something about to break will do so.

I don't think the comparison intended to be malicious in any way, just an immediate thought reaction.

We will find out soon enough when facts (which the concerned parties may well know but we certainly don't) are made clear, but in the meantime thoughts should be with those caught up in this tradgedy which is after all a human tragedy affecting a great many people.

Let's cool this one now please.....

Thank you
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Chris Trott wrote:Nigel, I'm on about Leif and Paul's attempts to link this accident to the crash of a B-52 at Fairchild AFB, WA, while practicing for an airshow where the pilot, a known "problem child", maneuvered the aircraft well outside it's operating envelope and crashed, killing all aboard.

Articles on the Crash and Holland (the "Problem Child")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fairc ... B-52_crash
http://www.crm-devel.org/resources/pape ... rkblue.htm
I was not attempting to do any such thing. I said the fact that they were practising for an airshow brought the B-52 accident to mind.

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

Paul K wrote:I was not attempting to do any such thing. I said the fact that they were practising for an airshow brought the B-52 accident to mind.
I think he was taking issue with what Leif said, rather than you, Paul.
DispatchDragon wrote:I think its a fair assumption that the crew out performed the aircraft

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks Adam, but I am mentioned by name...
Chris Trott wrote:Nigel, I'm on about Leif and Paul's attempts to link this accident to the crash of a B-52 at Fairchild AFB, WA....
A large USAF aircraft crashes while practising for an airshow; who in here was NOT reminded of the B-52 accident ? I had already said 'I wonder what went wrong'. 8)

End of topic for me. RIP to the four souls lost.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Chris Trott wrote:Nigel, I'm on about Leif and Paul's attempts to link this accident to the crash of a B-52 at Fairchild AFB, WA, while practicing for an airshow where the pilot, a known "problem child", maneuvered the aircraft well outside it's operating envelope and crashed, killing all aboard.
Sorry, but I fail to see any "link" that has a malicious intent as its purpose. I think that was a big leap to the conclusion you reached. Just my opinion though.

Nigel²

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

Paul K wrote:Thanks Adam, but I am mentioned by name...
Chris Trott wrote:Nigel, I'm on about Leif and Paul's attempts to link this accident to the crash of a B-52 at Fairchild AFB, WA....
Sorry, must have skipped over that!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

DispatchDragon wrote:...I think its a fair assumption that the crew out performed the aircraft -- much as a certain USAG officer did with a B52 several years ago.
Nigel, that enough of a link for you? :rant:

The statement specifically says that he's assuming that the crew out performed the aircraft (without any information to that) and compared it to a "USAG" officer (Holland was Active Duty USAF, not Guard, so I'm hoping Leif made a typo because that's just as bad as the first part as it disparages the Guard as a whole).

Paul - your statement -
Paul K wrote: Yep Leif, the mention of an airshow brought that B-52 accident to my mind too. :(
That is a blanket agreement with his statement. If you didn't mean to agree with his assertions that proclaim human factor and the pilots' intentions, then you should have stated it.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Calm down Chris please

You are reading more into it than you need too

I think we are grown up enough here not to be led too easily or are you disparaging the forum as a whole

No one is deliberately trying to put any one down........sometimes in written statements things read a bit differently to that intended.

Please drop this line or I'll lock the thread.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."