633 Squadron

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: 633 Squadron

Post by Paul K »

DaveB wrote:Did you not notice the shoulder patch on his uniform mate.. E S (Eagle Squadron) which was made up of volunteers from the good ole U.S of A during WWII ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk

Yap, that'll be 'the Few' that Wilfred Churchman gave his speech about in the English Houses of Senate that time.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I had to read that twice but it clicked in the end :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Indeed Dave :agree:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Not really off topic...

Cliff Robertson (the "American dude" in the movie) used to own a Mk.9 Spitfire, that just like the old stories go, was hangared in a barn a few miles from the little town I lived in in Southern Ontario. That Spit has now been sold, and lives just across the river from Ottawa in Gatineau Quebec (it's following me... I swear!). The Spit used to figure prominently on the airshow circuit here in Canada, flown by a former Canadian member of the RAF (served in the UK, Malta, and Europe) named Jerry Billing... I can still remember watching him cut the grass with that aircraft... never, ever seen a Spit so close to the ground, and he was in his 60's still flying the wings off! He always had tons of praise for Mr. Robertson, and always remarked about how he truly respected the RAF and Commonwealth aircrews after doing research for his role in 633 Sqn.

Mark

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The closest I've ever seen a Spitfire to the ground was at our local airport......it was parked *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

...ah, but you see this one had it's wheels up and the pilot cooling fan thingy on the front spinning...

Actually, I just realized I muddled the story (get my name wrong some days...) The Spit that's in Gatineau isn't the same one, it's just the lads who took care of the engine/airframe of the one that belonged to Mr. Robertson had a hand in going over that machine when it arrived in Canada. The one in Gatineau is a Mk. XIV... (silly me...)

Mark