The Royal Navy in the 1960's Video.

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Re: The Royal Navy in the 1960's Video.

Post by SkippyBing »

I suppose they could retrofit HMS Ocean to accept STOL aircraft below deck but why?
Ocean isn't really fast enough for fixed wing ops as she's only got diesels, not gas turbines. Plus she's pretty much knackered as it is, due to a combination of being built to commercial standards and being worked much harder than originally planned.

To be honest at this stage any media coverage of cuts to the armed forces is just speculation as to the outcome of the SDR, everything gets considered including dis-banding the Dead Sparrows, turning Victory into matchsticks and using the Household Cavalry to make glue. Some of it may be tactical leaks to try and affect the outcome.

What I think is more interesting is that the group developing EMCAT the UKs electro-magnetic catapult system have recently been resurrected, three years after the program was frozen, which gives slightly more weight to the theory that the F-35 order will be changed to F/A-18E/F. This would work out at about a $10Billion saving, apparently, even when the extra cost of the ship gets factored in.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. and $10Billion is a pretty sizeable sum however you say it!

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

SkippyBing wrote:
I suppose they could retrofit HMS Ocean to accept STOL aircraft below deck but why?
Ocean isn't really fast enough for fixed wing ops as she's only got diesels, not gas turbines. Plus she's pretty much knackered as it is, due to a combination of being built to commercial standards and being worked much harder than originally planned.

To be honest at this stage any media coverage of cuts to the armed forces is just speculation as to the outcome of the SDR, everything gets considered including dis-banding the Dead Sparrows, turning Victory into matchsticks and using the Household Cavalry to make glue. Some of it may be tactical leaks to try and affect the outcome.

What I think is more interesting is that the group developing EMCAT the UKs electro-magnetic catapult system have recently been resurrected, three years after the program was frozen, which gives slightly more weight to the theory that the F-35 order will be changed to F/A-18E/F. This would work out at about a $10Billion saving, apparently, even when the extra cost of the ship gets factored in.
Ah, wasn't aware of that one, thanks for the correction.

Not being too knowledgable about Naval things I hadn't heard about EMCAT. Sounds really interesting, and it would make sense to develop it, it would give us quite a nice choice of aircraft to operate off and I suppose would give us more choice in the future.

Years ago (1998) I went to a familes day at BAe Warton where, believe it or not, they were demonstration what can only be described as a "Sea Typhoon". I think the logic was to strengthen the U/C and modify the wings amongst other measures, however I dont think it got very far.

As for the cuts, I guess they'll happen as you said, however as it stands the cadet groups of the forces are already starting to be hit by cutbacks. I won't go into it as it would lead this thread off topic.