Leuchars Airshow 2010

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Leuchars Airshow 2010

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

I made the annual trip to Leuchars again this weekend and thought I'd post a selection of the best shots I managed to get for your interest. Sadly it was not a fruitful show, for various reasons, but I have to take what I get these days, so here's a few shots....

I did enjoy the 4 hunters, probably the best part of the flying show for me.... The two seater really does look to me to be even more pleasing to the eye that the single seater.... lovely stuff...

Last year was more successful in all respects :(

:thumbsup:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Leuchars Airshow 2010

Post by DaveB »

A-ha!! No mention of the '10 which snuck in nicely at the end :rock:

Tks for posting those Gordon :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

Wow, a SAAB Tunnen! I remember building a model of one of those about 25 years ago when I was a nipper. Tunnen is Swedish for barrel...

Was the show not to the usual standards then? Leuchars is usually reckonned to be the best RAF show in the UK, even though Waddington is billed as the biggest.

Thanks for the pics.

James

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Just lovely Gordon

Thank you...The Lancaster ones are particularly satisfying.

Leif

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Many thanks for posting Gordon :thumbsup:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

Yeah, the SAAB is good to see. Nice collection.

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan

The Show wasn't bad James, I didn't mean it like it was the show's fault, more my bad luck and ham-fisted camera work 8)

It was not a bad range of aircraft on show, but many were there last time as well. The weather was iffy to start with and a bit changeable all day. What didn't help was that I lost the spot I got some really good shots last year when we all got herded away from the area in front of the old Control tower at the west end of the display, because of the risk the Reds would possibly cook us while starting up. They never let us back into it even though they could have later on. Since I had to stand someplace else further from the aircraft as they head to and from the runway I ended up waisting more shots than getting good ones, spending more time than I should have fiddling with the exposure compensation on the camera to try to fight the dreaded backlighting you always get and ending up making an arse of the time I had 8)

Yup dave, the VC-10 looked nice, pity she wasn't up for a circuit or two as well. The Saber was very smart as well when up. The two Swedish craft were up but I never got a good shot or either. The two hurricanes and the two spitfires were worth the trip too, but they were sadly not all up in the air at the same time which would have been better. There's a couple of more shots I'll see if I can add to the list later, an interesting Army Islander amongst them.

I did come away feeling that each year I go there's slightly more fairground rides and stalls and less aircraft either up of down to keep the day going, so I hope its not going off the boil, considering its the biggest show up this part of the UK.

All in all, a good day out still, though I've heard there was traffic chaos outside all day... Me, I take the train, its much easier... :cheers:
TTFN, Gordon

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan

I'm starting to wade through the mush and see if I can sort out those that work better if I do a bit of gentle cropping and tweaking (something I usually never do if I can help it).
I think its starting to look like it was a better day than I thought, here's a taster... :Dance:
TTFN, Gordon

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

My favourite display ever I think. :) Hope they do it again in a couple of years.

James