Vulcan Under Threat........Again!!!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Vulcan Under Threat........Again!!!

Post by DarrenL »

They need about £50,000 to get XL426 taxiing again (a lot less than XH558 needs to continue flying). But XM655 regularly runs in the Summer. :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Since '558 went back into the air, news about the ground runners seems to be a bit overshadowed to the point that it's not too obvious what the status is at any given time.

Reality is that a Vulcan will cost a small fortune just to stop it falling apart as a static exhibit as it is not something easily put away and worked on now and then when you have a few minuets. :(
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

austerdriver

Post by austerdriver »

Why don't they just keep it in airworthy condition for special events only?

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Why don't they just keep it in airworthy condition for special events only?
That would probably cost more, have you ever tried leaving a car for six months? I've had to do it a couple of times and it's ended up costing me a fortune, I ended up having to replace all four brake discs and two calipers one time. Machines don't take well to sitting around doing nothing without maintenance, so it's still going to cost money and you're not earning any from displays etc. By the time you've flown a few check flights before the event to make sure it's serviceable you'd probably be even worse off, and with the Vulcan's track record it'd probably go U/S for the actual event!

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Post by Tarasdad »

If ever there were a worthy cause for the multi-mega-billionaires in the world to donate to... :rant: :rant: :rant:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

If ever there were a worthy cause for the multi-mega-billionaires in the world to donate to...
.. it would be the worlds only complete Vickers Vanguard living at Brooklands. When we go.. there aint no more :(

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

austerdriver

Post by austerdriver »

SkippyBing wrote: With the Vulcan's track record it'd probably go U/S for the actual event!
In articles I have read about some of the UK airshows, the Vulcan has always been static due to some sort of problem.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well matey.. not always but quite often ;) I've heard it once but have yet to see it while being operated by VTTS.

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!