Sir Norman Wisdom RIP

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Sir Norman Wisdom RIP

Post by nigelb »

steelsporran wrote:
nigelb wrote:Well, everyone in the Colonies will say "who"
I meant everywhere. I saw his films in the UK as a kid and I remember he could sing too.

I would love to see " The first guy to wear his cap at a stupid angle" as his epitaph. A homie before his time. RIP
:lol:
Yes, and I meant anyone of any generation over here (except the expats).

Nigel²

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

nigelb wrote:Well, everyone in the Colonies will say "who" ...
I must admit, I did. :$ After reading all of the posts here and on the BBC I searched online to learn more about him. The videos of his bayonet training and parachute jump had me laughing out loud...the dentistry school video was just too painful to watch. :lol: Obviously a very funny man and the world has been a much happier place for many because of him. Rest in peace Sir Norman.

Brian

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Thanks Brian for confirming. I found it fascinating that he was so popular in Albania. BBC America interviewed the Albanian Ambassador to the US last night and he said they loved Sir Norman in Albania. His films were the only western films allowed when Albania was under communist rule and the Albanians absolutly loved the British sense of humour. They also found a subtle message in the films in the character of Norman Pitkin that they somehow interpreted as a dig at authority and the communist rule.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Sir Norman vs the Royal Navy. :lol: With English subtitles too, for some reason. :dunno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKttxaXd ... re=related

Brian

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Norman Wisdom never received much praise from the critics,but was actually hugely popular(who needs critics?).There are those who said that by todays standards his comedy was dated but I expect that he would have taken that as a compliment.RIP Sir Norman. :( EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I read only just a few days before he died that none of his films was well recieved by the criticsyet were box office sell out......that says a lot about the so called experts

He gave the country just what it wanted.....a good night out with a laugh :lol:

Be was brillioant at what ever he did. B)smk
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

petec
Meteor
Meteor

Post by petec »

I feel privileged to have lived through an era of some great comedians, who put the most of the so called comedians of today to shame.

Norman Wisdom was a master comedian, and a nice man to boot, who did a lot for charity both in the country and abroad during his lifetime

It's difficult to put a finger on the best of scenes, but the William Tell Overture - from the film "One Good Turn" (1955) has to be one of my favourites
It's better to break ground and fly into the wind, than to break wind and fly into the ground
RAF & Allied Air forces WWII Monument

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Gone to join Mr Grimsdale!
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Truly one of the all time greats to come out of the UK, just last week I was watching a program about him, that thing he did
trying to tell a joke without laughing had me in stitches. Sadly he was not a well man the last few years. For a boy who had
a horrific childhood and made his way to an icon................RIP Sir Norman.............I for one will miss you.
AsusP5Q mobo P45 Chipset
QX6850 extreme 3ghz running at 3.6
4 gig OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz PC8500
XFX 8800GTS 512 G92Engine