FS2004 graphics problem - missing smoke, dust and contrails

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

FS2004 graphics problem - missing smoke, dust and contrails

Post by Tarasdad »

Over the past week or so I've been installing a second copy of FS2004 for modern flying (other is set up purely retro, pre-1975), as FSX is annoying the heck out of me with its mediocre performance. One thing that has me stumped is that somewhere, somehow in getting it installed, updated and add-ons installed I've lost all engine and touchdown smoke, taxi dust and contrail textures. Most "render" as transparent effects (see pic below), while extended contrails render as flat white lines. I've tried reinstalling the effects directory from the CD but that hasn't helped. I'm wondering if one of my graphics settings is to blame but have no clue as to which might be causing it. I'm hoping someone here might be able to provide some assistance - this is really annoying me! :wall:

Transparent issue - contrail blanking out aircraft

I did shortcut some installs by copying stuff that was already in my retro install over to the new install including some textures and such. I really, really don't want to go through another full install to fix this as most of the last week has been nothing but installing add-on scenery and aircraft. Unfortunately if I can't get it fixed in the next day or two that's what I'll probably have to do. This is almost (but not quite) enough to get me to say the heck with it and go back to flying FSX for my modern flights. Image

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: FS2004 graphics problem - missing smoke, dust and contra

Post by Garry Russell »

Looks almost as if the layer are sitting in the wrong order....so things are sitting on top when they should be below *-)

The easiest way to know if any FS graphic settings are corrupt is to copy your FS.9 CFG, then delete it and let FS make a new one

It would be a good idea at this stage to have a default FS.9 cfg .your can always put the old one back as a whole or in part.

Sorry I can't be more definate :(
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Re: FS2004 graphics problem - missing smoke, dust and contra

Post by Tarasdad »

Finally broke down and did a reinstall. So far, so good. Just got to find out what else got broken in the process. :|