Was Auntie to Blame

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Felixx62
Viscount
Viscount

Was Auntie to Blame

Post by Felixx62 »

A sad day for all us footy fans losing out to Russia to host the 2018 WC. Perhaps we will have more luck in 2026. I just wonder if the Beeb hadnt screened that Panorama prog last week,perhaps we would be celebrating hosting the 2018 WC tonight instead of drowning our sorrows for not. Corruption in footy surely not..... *-)

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Was Auntie to Blame

Post by DaveG »

Funny, I'm of the completely opposite opinion :lol:
Dave G.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I can't see that the opinions of a TV program would influenece the result
If the points brought up are false thenit would be ignore

If they are true then it is not the TV programs doing

But FIFA is surely bigger than that. *-)

At least the UK won'thave to waste vast sums on hosting another pointless sporting event

Good news I say :excited:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

We wouldn't be wasting money on it, the stadiums are already there and any being rebuilt will be done by the clubs anyway. It was due to bring in £3billion pounds to the economy instead from all the visitors staying in hotels, buying tat and profits on sold tickets.

Still at least we don't have to go through yet another incarnation of Skinner & Baddeils "Footballs coming home" song played endlessly.
Last edited by DarrenL on 02 Dec 2010, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

There was a newspaper involved too wasn't there *-) Whatever.. no one likes being accused of fraud whether they've acted fraudulently or not. I'm someone who holds a grudge so it would've influenced my decision :lol:

Ah well.. as Boris pointed out, let's not forget we're hosting the Olympic Games and the Rugby World Cup :rant:

:lol: :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Personally I couldn't give a sh*t.I also wish that we hadn't been awarded the Olympics( as I also suspect had many of the politicians,especially given the current fiscal climate).Precisely who is going to benefit from these events?.Perhaps more importantly,who is going to pay for them? Of course we already know the answer to that don't we? 8) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

The decision made me smile, and I suspect that it did the same for the majority of Brits despite the newspaper hype.

Especially after the undignified sight of the prime minister and second in line for the throne going to beg FIFA and Blatter to hold the tournament. Then this morning seeing someone on Sky news suggesting that the Russian media should be questioning why Putin wasn't there doing the same. :doh:

I'm NOT a fan of Putin but at least he realised that touting for football games is not part of his job.

Jon

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

To be honest I thought the BBC were giving a massive hint to the FA Team. If you want to host the World Cup, bribe FIFA. I mean what do you think the Russians did?

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Well that excruciating effort from down here thoroughly deserved its fate - just one vote :welldone:
Oz has produced a many excellent soccer players of international standard -it's a black disgrace that so many high officials in the managing body of the sport fall so far short of the mark :rant: :rant: :rant:
(Have to call it 'soccer' - 'football' can mean any one of three ball games here')
MikeW

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

At least the fans will have some fun in Russia. It's a football crazy country and they'll be welcome. But wtf are they going to do in Qatar in 2022? Unwind in the nearest bar by chatting up the local crumpet?

I don't think so :doh:

Ian :lol: